Original Steering Wheels

Jon B

Reaction score
Can someone please explain the differences between the original, full-sized e9 three-spoke steering wheels?
Were US model cars only supplied with plastic-spoke wheels?
Are the plastic or steel-spoke wheels interchangeable, and either version a direct fit to any e9 model? Were there more than one version of each, original to the e9?
Were wood-rimmed wheels made in both plastic and steel-spoke versions? Were original e3 steering wheels identical to e9 wheels at any point?
Thanks!

Jon B.

Can someone please explain the differences between the original, full-sized e9 three-spoke steering wheels? Yes
Were US model cars only supplied with plastic-spoke wheels? Yes, as far as I know. European spec cars had the same wheel, at least mine did/does.
Are the plastic or steel-spoke wheels interchangeable, and either version a direct fit to any e9 model? Yes, as long as the horn ring is on the back of the steering wheel.
Were there more than one version of each, original to the e9 Yes, there are the plasticoated and the black metal wood rim 400mm wheels. 380 & 400mm Petri sport wheels were an additional charge. I believe they were standard on the CSLs. Then there were the '74-'75 4 spokes with the big center pad.
Were wood-rimmed wheels made in both plastic and steel-spoke versions? Yes
Were original e3 steering wheels identical to e9 wheels at any point? Yes they were the same through the production runs including the change in '74 to 4 spoke wheels. Though I've not seen a Petri in an E3 yet.
Thanks!

Jon B.

Hope these answer your questions sufficiently.

Perhaps I misread the OP's question. I consider the term interchangeable and identical have two different meanings. To me, identical means that e3 and e9 wheels were exactly the same through the model years that you mentioned. Interchangeable means the spline count and horn ring, and signal cancel lever were the same, but the wheel design and aesthetics could be different. My understanding is that the design and aesthetics were different. Particularly the use of horn buttons on the spokes versus the hub.

They are identical and interchangeable. :smile:

Apologies for the crappy example. I feel sorry for the owner of the car below. ;) However, did this wheel come on the E3?

16908119566_a84b4ec006_b.jpg

Apologies for the crappy example. I feel sorry for the owner of the car below. ;) However, did this wheel come on the E3?

16908119566_a84b4ec006_b.jpg

I believe they did in Europe. The cars imported through Hoffman had the 3 spoke plasticoat wood rim.

Andrew & Markos, thanks for your replies.

Andrew, when you say e3 and e9 wheels "were the same through the production runs", I am confused. Many e3's had plastic-rimmed wheels- were e9 models supplied with these at the same time?
Attached is a photo from a 1972 e3 Bavaria brochure, showing a plastic-rimmed wheel...

bav_dash_b.jpg

Jon B.

Andrew & Markos, thanks for your replies.

Andrew, when you say e3 and e9 wheels "were the same through the production runs", I am confused. Many e3's had plastic-rimmed wheels- were e9 models supplied with these at the same time?
Attached is a photo from a 1972 e3 Bavaria brochure, showing a plastic-rimmed wheel...

bav_dash_b.jpg

Jon B.

The wheel was available on the early E9s as well. What I have observed is most E9 owners change the original steering wheel with a Petri or a Nardi.

Attachments

• R3.jpg
    R3.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 144
That's the CSi sport wheel, it is not in my May 72 e3 parts book but the 400cm Petri is.
Hi Chris, the wheel in Markos' picture is what I refer to as the steel-spoke version, and is seen in many period photos of European e9's, including 2800CS models.
It is illustrated in my '75 e9 Orange Book, section 32/20, which seems to indicate it was not used on any US models.
I believe the e9 version was always 425mm, while a similar 2002 version was 400mm?

So, are these steel-spoke wheels interchangeable with the US-supplied plastic-spoke wheels?

Jon B.

The wheel was available on the early E9s as well.
Andrew, the wheel in your photo appears to be plastic-rimmed with steel spokes, different than the full plastic version on the '72 Bavaria.
Is that a European 2800CS? It is obviously a recent photo.

Jon B.

Andrew, the wheel in your photo appears to be plastic-rimmed with steel spokes, different than the full plastic version on the '72 Bavaria.

Jon B.

The photo that I posted is my '71 euro 2800cs, built in July 1970. :)

I am confident that it is the e9 version, but I will measure. There are plenty of folks on here with the same wheel. Keep in mind that the 2002 uses a different horn connection. It is a brass plunger instead of a thin brass ring.

I am confident that it is the e9 version, but I will measure. There are plenty of folks on here with the same wheel. Keep in mind that the 2002 uses a different horn connection. It is a brass plunger instead of a thin brass ring.

Correct. The 2002 has the brass ring on the steering column.
I am currently running a CS wood rim steering wheel in my '73 2002Tii. I removed the brass ring and modified the brass pin located on the steering wheel. All the '70s BMW steering wheels can be used on CS, Bavs & on 2002s with modification. In 1974 the whole line of BMWs had the 4-spoke with the center horn pad.

Last edited:

Found the pic on the internet. Here's the wheel in a 3.0CS, also found on the internet.

Attachments

• 3035880615_3021a9c083_z.jpg
    3035880615_3021a9c083_z.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 195
Back