Original Steering Wheels

Hi Chris, the wheel in Markos' picture is what I refer to as the steel-spoke version, and is seen in many period photos of European e9's, including 2800CS models.
It is illustrated in my '75 e9 Orange Book, section 32/20, which seems to indicate it was not used on any US models.
I believe the e9 version was always 425mm, while a similar 2002 version was 400mm?

So, are these steel-spoke wheels interchangeable with the US-supplied plastic-spoke wheels?

Jon B.

Correct, not available in the US but it is interchangeable with any e9 application.

Markos, I agreed with you, it's a euro wheel not sold in the US. I have one on my coupe too.

I know, I was just replying to Jon's question that he asked after your post. Should have included a quote:

Jon B said:
Is that a European 2800CS? It is obviously a recent photo.

Jon B.

Can someone please explain the differences between the original, full-sized e9 three-spoke steering wheels?
Were US model cars only supplied with plastic-spoke wheels?
Are the plastic or steel-spoke wheels interchangeable, and either version a direct fit to any e9 model? Were there more than one version of each, original to the e9?
Were wood-rimmed wheels made in both plastic and steel-spoke versions? Were original e3 steering wheels identical to e9 wheels at any point?
Thanks!

Jon B.
Jon, are you selling yours? Interested in buying it.

Back