OT: E3 Coil-overs

careysd

Reaction score
Good Day All,

I am planning a rebuild of my E3 suspension and due to future mods planned, believe that I am going to build some coil-overs for the car. I was wondering if some of you that have built your own set-ups could lend some advice.

I don’t know exactly what my car weighs, yet, and it has not been corner weighed so I am looking for something in the ball park. I plan to go with Bilstein Sports front and rear. Konis are too hard to find. I will get the Bilsteins revalved if necessary, but feel they should work for the moderate spring rates that I am planning.

The car will be used as a daily driver first and foremost. Therefore it does need to ride somewhat decent. Second, I hope to get some autocross and HPDE events in. Car will not be slammed, but will be lowered a bit.

• Thinking of going with an eBay sleeve and collet (or those at Summit Racing).
    • What length should the sleeve be?
  • Eibach or Hypercoil springs 7” approx. 450-500lbs front, but not sure on rear?
    • I believe that I am going to use an E28 subframe and bits.
  • With this set-up will I need to cut and re-weld the strut housing?
    • I have the means to do this and have seen the walk through on mye28.com, I was just curious if I would need to do this for this level of lowering with the Sports.

As an avid DIY’er, I wouldn’t dare dream of doing it the easy way and having someone set these up for me, which would be much too easy! Guidance, help and enlightened comments will be appreciated and considered…

Scott

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
1) call Ireland they may have already "engineered" a setup for you.

2) check with the Senior Six Registry (google search) those colorful fellows may be able to help also

3) Back in the day in events like the BTC stuff the legions of E3 racers would use comfort-level Billies in the rear with various spring iterations. Of course, those Billies are NLA today

4) I'd be happy to assist with suspension-mod q's for your E3. Drop a line

phelpsie

shanon

Reaction score
Howdy,

Currently running 550lbs up front on Ireland's coil-over set-up with 500lbs in backs over Billies.
A bit harsh on crappy roads put sweet on hwy and track.

Suggest something in the mid 400lb-er range, just subtract 50lbs for the rear for an all arounder. Should be good place too start, your local terrain will help sort it out too.

Don't go too low, it'll all take the fun out of it.

HTH!
-shanon