Painted Body I

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Milestone reached yesterday: I finally got the car body back from the body/paint shop. Here are some pics. I Installed the trunk and hood torsion bars last night - easier than I expected.

Attachments

• RightSide.jpg
    RightSide.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 349
  • RightSideAngled.jpg
    RightSideAngled.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 320
  • RightSideCloseUp.jpg
    RightSideCloseUp.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 326
  • FrontEnd.jpg
    FrontEnd.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 318
  • FrontCloseUp.jpg
    FrontCloseUp.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 326

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The angled tab is for attachment of the plastic volvo fender liner. There is also one mounted at the top of the arch (welded to the side of the vertical inner wheel well reinforcing fin) to hold the liner against the top of the fender. Previously I had them screwed into the base of the 'A' post, but wanted to eliminate that hole and allow a small gap between the backside of the liner and the 'A' post.

coupe2800cs

Reaction score
Deltron 2000

How much was the paint, base/clear, last time I bought paint was in 2001 for 65 Mustang, Honey Gold Deltron 2000 also I recall $365 per gal for just the base color. I have a Polaris Silver 2800cs here that is getting original color paint at some point, might be better to purchase now than wait prices are going up. Last time I checked Deltron 2000 on a Audi color in Oceanic Blue it was $465.00 per gal base only. Paint has become really expensive lately, good acrylic enamel is all but impossible now in California.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
paint material costs

Base, clear, hardeners, & reducers totaled CAD $1,135 after a 25% discount. The base was $411/gal retail. The clear $278/gal. I needed 1.25 gal. of the base (and this was barely enough). They used about 1.25 gal. of the clear as well (I have 3/4 gal. left over). This stuff has been phased out in Canada. I got near the last of it in the Vancouver area.

coupe2800cs

Reaction score
Carb

http://www.tcpglobal.com/Restorationshop/

This is where I'm getting my stuff, their prices are pretty good. So water based paints is the future in Washington also now? I still think there is nothing like acrylic enamel single stage paint job, even a metallic color can be done correctly with stuff, the above paint shop still offers single stage acrylics in PPG shipped to you house! California still allows the "Hobbist" to use paint of his/her choice as long as it's not more than a specified amount in years time period, and the correct CARB (California Air Resources Board) equipment is used.

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My 1983 745i turbo is being repaired and painted this week in Oakland CA- thank heavens my friend has a shop and I am paying wholesale. Cost for front Euro bumper, front fender and a paint job in Lapis Blau= $2500
Keep in mind I will have 5 days into this of my own time taking everything off and then putting it all back on. Just a decent paint job nowadays is 5 grand. Nice job with lots of prep and clearcoat is 7500

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
Milestone reached yesterday: I finally got the car body back from the body/paint shop. Here are some pics. I Installed the trunk and hood torsion bars last night - easier than I expected.

The mid body horizontal highlight line looks crisp & straight with proper fad outs at the ends. The front of the hood is level in relation to the header panel. Someone obviously knows what their doing or you started with a near perfect body --- I am impressed. VERY NICE JOB. ~ John Buchtenkirch

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Stone guard

Textured finish is the same all the way around the base of the car (front and rear, and both rocker covers). Here is a close up of the front corner. It seems a good match to the existing. We picked a horizontal line at the leading edge of the nose to make the transition from texture to smooth. At the front sides and rear valence there is a change in the sheet metal where this transition occurs.

They used the 3M Ultra Gard Coating No. 08964.

Attachments

• StoneGuard.jpg
    StoneGuard.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 245

coupe2800cs

Reaction score
Rocker Shutlz

Know as 3M Rocker Shultz... German for stone guard.... I have a Shultz gun, you can thin this stuff out using lacquer thiner to get the desired texture... SF DON I'm doing the wrong thing for a living, did you rescue that 2800 up north near the tsunami capital of California?

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sven - Looks great!!!

Can't wait to see it come together.
I may even have to swing by and take a look -

:)

Kevin

Tierfreund

Reaction score
Schultz is a surname....

You probably mean SCHUTZ not Schultz.

Schutz means protection in german so

StoneGuard = SteinSchlagSchutz (StoneHitProtection)
Undercarriageprotection = UnterBodenSchutz (UnderFloorProtection)