Pair of coupes on BAT - So. Cal.

jamesw

Reaction score
Hi I'm James - a newby who fell in love w/ the coupe when I saw Bwana's here in Houston.

I just put a deposit down on these two. Hopefully they will be on their way to Houston soon.

I'm sure I've really stepped in it w/ these but only time will tell. I'll post some more info once I get the cars.

Cheers
James

execmalibu

Reaction score
The seller told me that the steel E9 doors were worth $2,000 each!

I seller was a very interesting guy....

He said because a new E9 door from BMW was almost $4,000 that his (steel) doors were worth half @ $2,000 each... He figured that because the two cars each had a pair of doors that he had at least $8,000 in parts...

If you look at it like that then if parted out our E9s would finally be valuable!...

Lets see at a dealer a light bulb is $9 and there are 18 in an E9, a fuse is $1.25 and there are 8, 10mm Screws are $2.65 + Washers are $.59 and there are probably 150, each a C clip is $1.35 and there are 25.... Hell a little bag of misc parts at a dealer could be $450 plus tax...

Imagine if all of the used E9 parts sold for 1/2 of the price of new our cars would be worth $250,000 or more!:lol:

Last edited:

jamesw

Reaction score
Yes, he's an interesting guy but he seems like a straight shooter. We'll see when the cars get here. I guess I'm an optimist when I should be a pessimist.

Cheers
James

execmalibu

Reaction score
No offense James but they did not sound too good...

The car that looked like the better one he said was actually worse...

At least for your $9,500 if the cars are junk you will have over $50,000 in used E9 parts that are easy to sell...

Good Luck!

Fstede1

Reaction score
Great Attitude

Jamesw admire your attitude Keep that glass half full and you'll wind with a great finished product. Please keep us posted of your progress. Good Luck

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
To the (already) new owner, the fjord car has serious a-pillar rot, the seller admitting to rockers is nothing compared to the extent this work can require. There is no way to know for sure how extensive that rust is until all the front sheetmetal's off! Relacing both complete bulkhead ends is huge labor (on top of huge labor to r&r the entire front sheetmetal. In both parts of the equation it is also big dollars just for the repair chunks and fenders n' bits.
I don't even know if the bulkhead pillars are available from BMW anymore, and I just could not bring myself to use chinese-sourced tin-mix knockoffs from various enterprising sould who claim to be "reproducing" sheetmetal and body parts for the E9 BMWs. Congrats on joining the fold though, and let us know when the container arrives!

jamesw

Reaction score
I saw your comment on BAT dp - I understand about the pillars. It's not pretty.

At present, even with the 2 galleries of photos it's really hard to come up with any kind of game plan. I just need to wait and see.

On a positive note, I got a quote or $1,150 to transport both cars out here from LA so hopefully they'll be on the move soon.

Cheers
James

jamesw

Reaction score
They are on their way to Houston.

Needless to say I'm pretty excited.

I'm having the 3.3 engine and 265/5 engine shipped separately. Don't know much about them except what wikipedia has to say. Is that a good swap for this car? The blue car has a 2800 injected engine at the moment...

Cheers
James

Attachments

• IMAG0080.jpg
    IMAG0080.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 117

jamesw

Reaction score
The cars arrived today. I can't believe how fast they got here - the truck picked them up on Saturday in LA and delivered them Monday at noon in Houston. Pretty good trucker - had them both on the top row, if anyone wants a recommendation I'd recommend these guys.

Cheers
James

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow was that a reasonable shipping charge. Have fun sorting through the cars.

LonestarZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Fellow Houston Coupe owner

Congrat's James! Nothing like jumping in with both feet! That's scary and cool at the same time.....

If you know Bwana then you already know that there are other coupe enthusiasts in the Houston area. Five of us had an impromptu meet a couple years ago. Several of us in the BMW CCA Houston Chapter also. I would like to see the cars you bought if you have some time. Is the "reefpix" email address you posted in the BaT comments still the best way to get a hold of you?