Pamp style bumper adapters

PaulinPa

Reaction score
I have an early set of adapters for converting a 74 bumper to thinner style.Finally got around to trying to fit them and could use some help.First,do you use the little aluminum "block"that fits inside bumper?Second,which way does the bevel on the adapter orient?Lastly,do you have to cut off any of the adapter tube length?A test fitting revealed that bumper seems to extend out from body more than pics of other cars I've seen.Thanks!

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have an early set of adapters for converting a 74 bumper to thinner style.Finally got around to trying to fit them and could use some help.First,do you use the little aluminum "block"that fits inside bumper?Second,which way does the bevel on the adapter orient?Lastly,do you have to cut off any of the adapter tube length?A test fitting revealed that bumper seems to extend out from body more than pics of other cars I've seen.Thanks!

I used Pamp's adapters, but Im not sure I understand what you mean by the "aluminum block". Do you have a photo ?

kys911t

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, you have to use the blocks and yes, they are shaped to go in a specific direction. It took me several attempts to get them right and I do not remember exactly which way they go. You have to move them around so they fit the inside of the bumper, I do remember that. Regarding the length having to be cut. I did not need to and I think my bumpers look to be about right for my eyes.

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
I used the original shock tubes (drilled to release the "oil" (probably PCB or something else lethal)) and IIRC, the length between the center of the bolt hole and the end of the tubes was 15". This allowed me to get the front bumper about 2" from the body and I was able to line up the bumper end mounts with the factory holes in the fenders to avoid drilling new holes. Try to get someone to help hold the front bumper when you mount it to avoid scratching the paint, and use old ski socks to cover the bumper ends (AMHIK)! IT's all worth the effort....

PaulinPa

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies,I will be using the OE aluminum block.I am still confused about the proper orientation of the angled plate on the end of the shaft.Should the edge that angles outward(marked by dot in photo) be at top of bumper when assembled or on the bottom or ??? Thanks.

Attachments

• adapter.jpg
    adapter.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 163

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like no one seems to know how to orient the dot, and Pamp is apparently on assignment somewhere where there is no internet access so he can't advise either.
Do a trial fitting of the tubes with the bumper so figure out which way the dots go. My sense is that it won't make much difference.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Lastly,do you have to cut off any of the adapter tube length?A test fitting revealed that bumper seems to extend out from body more than pics of other cars I've seen.Thanks!

This is probably ancient history by now but did you get this solved, Paul? I had the same problem and found the cause and solution.