Parking Brake Rebuild Parts

nimble_n_quick

Reaction score
In the process of attempting to restore my coupe's sloppy parking brake, I found that the mounting hardware was irrecoverably damaged - the brackets were both cracked, and the wrist pin through-hole was ovaled.

Because these parts are no longer available, I made new pieces and added a strengthening gusset to prevent future failures. I also made them in mirror image so that the parking brake switch mounting slot (which contributed to the cracking failure I observed on the passenger side) can be oriented to the rear of the vehicle on both the driver and passenger sides. These parts are made from 14 gauge steel.

The replacement pieces look like this:

DSCN1082.JPG

DSCN1085.JPG

If there is interest, I can have more made for others in this same predicament. Please let me know via PM or reply to this thread if there is interest.

Dave B

Reaction score
parking brake issues

2 great tips guys - thanks!

Every year I get grief from the garage doing my MOT ( UK annual inspection ) because my parking brake is weak as water.

Maybe next year I'll be ready for them!!!

Honolulu

Reaction score
Maybe roller bearings are great for Mr. Cain, but for the rest of us, methinks bearings on the hand brake pivot are far, far over the top.

That said, I could be interested in a set of your replacement, depending on cost...

nimble_n_quick

Reaction score
I made these parts for my own project, and had not really thought about a “for sale” price. I have $130 USD into the fabrication, and I made a couple of extras - it would be great to recover my costs for the remaining pieces at $55/set.

If there is interest, I could make a "production run" which would bring cost down, with the actual price depending on the quantity made. I'm confident that if ~10 pairs were made, I could get cost down to $45/set, maybe less.

Please note, installation requires removal of the old unit (which is tack welded to the driveshaft tunnel), and welding on the new parts - this is not a "bolt on" solution (but then again, is anything with a coupe ever a simple "bolt on" affair?).

I just finished the parts last night and will post pictures of the finished result when my installation is complete.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Maybe roller bearings are great for Mr. Cain, but for the rest of us, methinks bearings on the hand brake pivot are far, far over the top.

That said, I could be interested in a set of your replacement, depending on cost...

I installed Paul Cain's kit in 15 minutes, all play is gone. Perfect. My mechanic dealt with the same problem in 2002s and said he wished he had Cain's solution decades ago.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Handbrake weakness

Problem is primarily due to the inncorrect setting of the hand brake. Many--if not most--drivers will jerk the brake pulling toward them. This will eventually fracture the uprights and or the mounting points as well as round out the fulcrum.

Suggested Solution that has worked for many years:
Don't pull the brake handle toward you--pull it straight up.
Don't jerk the braake handle it also adds to premature wear.
Do install the Paul Cain system--it reall works well.
As a standard practice--set the handbrake if parked on an incline--never on a level spot.

All of the above has worked for the BLUMAX for years after failing the course by the practices that brings on failure described that had to be "fixed" due to years of abuse.

johnm2

Reaction score
In the process of attempting to restore my coupe's sloppy parking brake, I found that the mounting hardware was irrecoverably damaged - the brackets were both cracked, and the wrist pin through-hole was ovaled.

Because these parts are no longer available, I made new pieces and added a strengthening gusset to prevent future failures. I also made them in mirror image so that the parking brake switch mounting slot (which contributed to the cracking failure I observed on the passenger side) can be oriented to the rear of the vehicle on both the driver and passenger sides. These parts are made from 14 gauge steel.

The replacement pieces look like this:

DSCN1082.JPG

DSCN1085.JPG

If there is interest, I can have more made for others in this same predicament. Please let me know via PM or reply to this thread if there is interest.
Hi, are you still offering these bracket parts? If so I'd be interested. I'm in the UK.

Regards