Passenger footwell foam block!!!

Aussie3.0CS

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a query...

Can someone please give me a measurement for locating and sizing the foam block in the passengers foot well? Mine was destroyed while sand blasting and now I am looking at fitting carpets soon....

A measurement from the base of the passenger seat pedestal to the start of the block and an angle of incline would be awesome!

Yours Thankfully in anticipation

Chris
Aussie3.0CS
nearly there.... 1971 3.0CS

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
I often thought if I had to replace it, I would try to block off that section and use expanding foam???

aalto

Reaction score
Just had to make a new one for my car (the original was long gone and the old carpet fit terribly). Didn't have any measurements but was able to find a few very detailed photos from a search on this forum. I ended up taking a sheet of 22 gauge (thin) aluminum and applying 4 or 5 inches of expanding foam to one side . . . basically just a big pile of foam on top of the aluminum sheet. The foam bonds very well to the aluminum.

Expanding foam by itself (at least the stuff you buy at home despot) is not really hard enough to act as a surface for a dead pedal, but as a backing behind a thin piece of aluminum it becomes quite strong. I then trimmed the big pile of foam to the contour of the footwell and secured it with some sprayglue (foam side down). In other words, the aluminum forms the surface for your foot and the foam is shaped to the footwell. Once the carpets were in place everything fit nicely and gave no evidence of the home-built solution below.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Chris,

I measured ~57 cm along the floor from the center of the seat base. This is an approximate number since I measured with carpet and sound deadening material in place. The angle is about 50° from horizontal. Note the piece actually has a slight curve to it which you can see in the photo. In the photo of the footwell you can see the imprint left in the 1/8" foam padding from the grid at the back of the rigid foam moulding piece. Of course you set up with be a mirror image - assuming your passenger side is on the left.

Another option for fabricating a piece similar to aalto suggestion is to cut out an 1/8" piece of plywood (which usually will have a slight bend to it). Trim it to fit. Apply plastic wrap (clingwrap) to the metal surface of the footwell (or some other material that keeps the expanding foam from sticking to the metal surface of the car floor). Spray in a bunch of this foam, allow it to expand a bit and then press the wood into place, essentially squeezing the foam to mould to the car's shape. Let cure and then trim off excess and pull the whole thing out. You may need to add some foam to the back side if there are any larger holes or gaps. Remove the plastic wrap from the car floor and you are set. You will want to make sure everything around is well taped off, since this stuff is quite messy and will stick to just about anything.

Attachments

• FootFoamBack.jpg
    FootFoamBack.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 290
  • FootWellImprint.jpg
    FootWellImprint.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 279

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Foor rest(s)

Trying to attach some photos-but sent you a message if you need more
Cheers

Attachments

• foam1.jpg
    foam1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 241
  • foam2.jpg
    foam2.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 218
  • foam3.jpg
    foam3.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 210

Rod Cole

Reaction score
Bringing up this old thread because I can't find anything on the "Driver side" footwell foam block. All I have is about 4 square inches of it, broken into three parts. The passenger side is all there with one crack. Is the other one as big, I'm just starting to install the carpet and don't think this little 4 inch foam part will even begin to be big enough, but think it's maybe smaller than the one on passenger side, I do have a parts book but don't see it there~

Rod Cole

Reaction score
Markos, thank you very much for that, exactly what I need, thing is I can't read a word on that site - but now I have an idea of what it looks like.
Just to mention, my Yoga teacher moved to Seattle~

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here are some pics for reference that have been posted on previous posts.

I bought a replacement drivers side foam from cs-werk.

BMWfoampieces002.jpg
21865643498_ffe22e5119_h.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos, thank you very much for that, exactly what I need, thing is I can't read a word on that site - but now I have an idea of what it looks like.
Just to mention, my Yoga teacher moved to Seattle~

Hi Rod,

If you use Google Chrome as your browser, it will auto-translate to your native language settings. You can run chrome in any android/windows/os x/ios
device.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Rod,

If you use Google Chrome as your browser, it will auto-translate to your native language settings. You can run chrome in any android/windows/os x/ios
device.

I was typing the same thing. Mine doesn't aut0-translate, but gives me a pop-up option to do so or there's a little circle in the address bar that will translate it.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
As an aside, I fixed my cracks by using piano wire run across the honey combs and gorilla glue which foams and expands when dry.