PBCM lowering springs

Christopher

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've been through the European offerings for lowering springs (Jaymic / H&R) and have finally found my optimum solution in springs manufactured by Paul Baker, who may of you in the UK will know for his restoration business, and his knowledge of E9's and CSL's.

Previous springs were either too high or knocked over speed bumps, but having just spent a week's driving in the Welsh mountains (which offer an incredible driving experience) i can thoroughly recommend these for a responsive and comfortable drive with an excellent ride height.

springs.jpeg

I believe Paul has these in stock and is a member here

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@Paul Baker is without question an expert and more so, a through gentlemen. I have the pleasure to be in regular contact with him and he has my full vote of confidence!

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've been through the European offerings for lowering springs (Jaymic / H&R) and have finally found my optimum solution in springs manufactured by Paul Baker, who may of you in the UK will know for his restoration business, and his knowledge of E9's and CSL's.

Previous springs were either too high or knocked over speed bumps, but having just spent a week's driving in the Welsh mountains (which offer an incredible driving experience) i can thoroughly recommend these for a responsive and comfortable drive with an excellent ride height.

View attachment 101269

Looks great!

Paul Baker

Site Donor
Reaction score
also share the spring free length, number of coils, and spring compression rate
(asking for all the secrets, I know).

Sorry that's not information that I will be sharing, I'm now on version 5 front springs which and has cost me a lot of time and money to perfect these for my restorations so that info I will be keeping.

Paul Baker

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is there a website or listing of his items? Cost?
@02coastie
@Boonies

The front springs are currently £125 each + UK VAT which I believe you can claim back or if they are shipped directly overseas I will not charge, i do need to confirm the exact details of this as I'm not normally selling items only using on our restorations in the UK.

Paul Baker

Site Donor
Reaction score

View attachment 101269

That's great feedback so a big thanks @Christopher for that report after a long week of testing. We have tried over the years to improve them and to get the springs as good as possible to match the Bilsteins perfectly, a sensible ride height (stance), comfort at low speeds and firm when pushing them harder. We have seen other E9 springs that bottom out when used, falling out when they are off load (jacked up) which is a UK MOT failure, springs so hard that they rattle your teeth around town and on the UK potholes and also springs that look great on the car but are really soft.
We use these in conjunction with the rear CSL progressive springs that are available from Walloth.
For any other information email me ** except for the technical info on load ratings etc. **

richiemcb

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wanted to thank you @Paul Baker for supplying some lowering springs. Have improved the handling and love the lower look. Great product!

Attachments

• 20201229_124029.jpg
    20201229_124029.jpg
    709.3 KB · Views: 260
  • 20201228_134900.jpg
    20201228_134900.jpg
    550.2 KB · Views: 229
  • 20201228_134903.jpg
    20201228_134903.jpg
    521.7 KB · Views: 221
  • 20201231_151626.jpg
    20201231_151626.jpg
    501.6 KB · Views: 231
  • 20201231_151632.jpg
    20201231_151632.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
The lowered look AKA "stance" is great. But you also might need to roll the inner front fender lips to avoid cutting your tires or bending out the lip as happened to me in the photo below. This can happen with 15" and 16" wheels with the correct ET11 offset. The previous owner ran the OEM FPS 14" wheels with 205/60 tires without problems with the suspension mods still on my car. The accident happened to me with the 16" BBS wheels while backing into a depression& turning the wheels.

Attachments

• IMG_0408.jpg
    IMG_0408.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 252

richiemcb

Site Donor
Reaction score
The lowered look AKA "stance" is great. But you also might need to roll the inner front fender lips to avoid cutting your tires or bending out the lip as happened to me in the photo below. This can happen with 15" and 16" wheels with the correct ET11 offset. The previous owner ran the OEM FPS 14" wheels with 205/60 tires without problems with the suspension mods still on my car. The accident happened to me with the 16" BBS wheels while backing into a depression& turning the wheels.
Thanks for the heads up @Drew Gregg Currently on 14's but was thinking of going to 16's. What size tires are you running?

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Drew, are you running Paul’s springs or others? I have one of these love kisses on my e 28 race car ( it’s a bit lower than the e9s)
The springs and shocks were installed many years ago by the previous owner. He bought most of his stuff from Ireland Engrg. or Carl Nelson.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here's a side profile of my car's "stance". Notice the Turkis metallic "flop". It's green in the sun and blue in the shade.
I recently heard a car needs 3 things: Stance, color, and performance. And coupe owners have the most important thing-timeless design.

Attachments

• IMG_2216(1).jpg
    IMG_2216(1).jpg
    513.9 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_2223.jpg
    IMG_2223.jpg
    508.1 KB · Views: 230

Paul Baker

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wanted to thank you @Paul Baker for supplying some lowering springs. Have improved the handling and love the lower look. Great product!
Thanks @richiemcb for the comment and photos, I'm glad they were good for you, I think they are just a good compromise for handling and height.
With reference to the comment by @Drew Gregg we did test the springs on a CSi without rolled arches and on 16" rims and they didn't hit the arch at all, however, I would agree that it's a sensible thing to roll them if they are not already. We can't test every car in every conceivable corner, over all bumps and speed humps or braking during deceleration and cornering etc. One of my CSL's has original 16" Alpinas and standard springs and one has hit the arch so it isn't just a risk with new springs. Don't forget my springs are dual rate so once compressed more when pushed hard they are very slightly stiffer than a standard CSL progressive spring, not much but hopefully enough. It was many attempts on a highly technical spring tester to see the graph on rates.
I do value all feedback so would like to hear if they ever do hit and what circumstance or even if you ever think stiffer would be ok.
Cheers again for the comments.
Paul