Pennsylvania 1972 CSL just popped up on Ebay with $100k starting bid

John H.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not mine. Seems a bit steep to start bidding at this point, but correct me if I'm wrong. And I have been wrong lately!!! Be safe everyone!!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
perhaps a bit ambitious - 100k for a project. gotta love this comment - "This is a project most of the parts to reassemble are included " ... falls into the heading, you don't know what you don't know (have)

Last edited:

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The seller is listing it for a friend, so he probably just did what the owner/friend told him to do.

It is pretty much a waste of time, however.

Abandoned projects bring about a dime on every dollar spent. There are not as many buyers interested in a project as there are for completed cars. Potential buyers are keenly aware there are probably missing parts, work not done to their standards, etc. This is especially true of cars that are expensive to restore like E9s.

The best use of eBay would have been to have a far more detailed description and LOTS of pictures (even if you have to link to some in an on line photo album). Start with a low bid requirement ($500), but set a realistic reserve after researching the market. That way, if it doesn't reach reserve and sell, you at least will now know how the market values the car. You get more "eyes" worldwide on an eBay listing than any other venue I can think of. Forums like this one will be publicizing your listing for you. Anyone even vaguely interested in an E9 will likely see your listing.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
If all the CSL parts are there the price doesn't seem that bad to me. If the car is solid, the cost to finish versus what you have when you're done...

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
I wish anybody well who wants to take it on, though I would recommend you think of it as a full and complete restoration. Looking at the quality of the paintwork where its been painted and where it hasn't etc, says as such to me, maybe others feel different though.

Description is a little athletic in hope, obviously not an early lightweight CSL or even that early an injection car.

Last edited:

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
The seller is listing it for a friend, so he probably just did what the owner/friend told him to do.

It is pretty much a waste of time, however.

Abandoned projects bring about a dime on every dollar spent. There are not as many buyers interested in a project as there are for completed cars. Potential buyers are keenly aware there are probably missing parts, work not done to their standards, etc. This is especially true of cars that are expensive to restore like E9s.

The best use of eBay would have been to have a far more detailed description and LOTS of pictures (even if you have to link to some in an on line photo album). Start with a low bid requirement ($500), but set a realistic reserve after researching the market. That way, if it doesn't reach reserve and sell, you at least will now know how the market values the car. You get more "eyes" worldwide on an eBay listing than any other venue I can think of. Forums like this one will be publicizing your listing for you. Anyone even vaguely interested in an E9 will likely see your listing.
Is it just me, or do you think Dick is just trying to scare the rest of us away so he can swoop in and steal this one? ;) Go for it Dick, someday when the border opens again, I would love and come have a look at it!:cool: Mike

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looks to me like the original hood lining is there and the seats, possibly the steering wheel too.
If that's true and it has the original alloy hanging panels then you are halfway there for the unobtanium CSL parts.
There's no mention of if it's a matching numbers car but it may well be. If that's the case regardless of the amount of work to do you would have to go a long way to find a cheaper CSL. I've seen total rust buckets out of the UK asking, and getting, similar money. If I were in the US and didn't have one I'd approach the vendor with an offer after the auction ends - assuming they don't get a bid.

tightbox

Reaction score
Seller didn’t seem to have a lot of info on what was/wasn’t included in the sale. His response on numbers matching was, “it doesn’t have the same engine it had in it back in 1998.” He didn’t answer my question about the gearbox. Looks like a fun project, but we all just saw how all the little missing pieces added up to a very low value on Terry’s CSL. Numbers matching on a CSL is a much bigger deal!

Last edited:

leonine99

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No Reserve as long as it's over 100K - maybe its even more? And I thought CSL trunk (boot) lids only came with a prop up bar instead of the torsion mechanism? Maybe city pack cars had less consistency......and of course no chassis photos which is always terrifying.....

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I thought CSL trunk (boot) lids only came with a prop up bar instead of the torsion mechanism?

As a casual observer, I couldn't say for certain. I've seen more CSL's with a rear torsion bar than with a prop. The rear torsion bar only weighs a few pounds and wouldn't overpower the aluminum trunk. The front torsion bar is a heavy and powerful beast and would likely need to be modified to work with an aluminum hood.

More importantly, on aluminum trunks the striker base is riveted to the trunk. I don't know if a CSL striker base is steel or aluminum. A CSL owner could confirm with a magnet.

Ebay car - note the rivets:
s-l1600.jpg

On a steel trunk, the striker is spot welded to the trunk.
060-car.jpg

A better view of the rivets and a torsion bar on the Baikal city-pack CSL that sold on BaT.
1972_bmw_3-0_csl_series_2_15547743783464bf4IMG_0163.jpg

tightbox

Reaction score
I would really love to know what he paid for this project! I have a newly acquired enclosed car trailer that was just begging for this one, and the eBay seller sent me the owner's phone number to help clarify the missing details he couldn't provide. Open roads, cheap gas, and unlimited time can lead one to start day dreaming.

I just couldn't bring myself to take on another e9 project (or tie up the money right now), so I never even called him. I know it closed with zero bids at $100k. This could be the one that got away!

What a dream project - best of luck Tom Kirksey! Let's hope he joins us here to share the restoration process.