Pertronix ignition question

mrobertbrown

Reaction score
I recently aquired a 1970 2800cs and would like to replace the points and condenser with an electronic ignition unit. Is the Petronix unit suitable for my car, and if so which part number is appropriate? My distributor (Bosch 0231142002) is not listed in their application guide. Any comments (pro or con) would be appreciated.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pertronix works great, search the forum here, there are a lot of threads on them.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I second Steve's post. My P. has been running flawlessly for years including high performance driver's schools where everything gets a workout.

And, there are no external parts so everything looks original.
Steve

gwittman

Reaction score
I installed one in my 70 2800 CS a couple years ago. I wish I had done it many years ago. The engine is much more consistent with no dwell drift and no more changing the points periodically. I don't remember the part number but I still have the box it came in. I will take a look to see if it has the part number on it.

pamp

Reaction score
Pertronix

I bought a kit, on sale from Carl N. last year. EZ install, no complaints here. #1868 for my car. Used the 4 cyl. application, on Volvo B20 for years (decades) No problems. Two thumbs up for me. A very good upgrade for the Bosch distributor in my opinion. I have no experience with the "HotSpark" unit and cannot comment for same.

mrobertbrown

Reaction score
Thanks for the inputs - it sounds like Petronix is a winner. Does anyone have a part number for their Petronix ignition - the catalog does not list a unit for my car or my distributor.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mine is #1867 but just contact Carl Nelson, he'll know which one you need and his price is as good or better than any.

carl at bimmerdoc.com

Thanks for the inputs - it sounds like Petronix is a winner. Does anyone have a part number for their Petronix ignition - the catalog does not list a unit for my car or my distributor.

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
Call Carl..there are two distributors a large one and small one. So you have two options and you have to know which one you have.
abe

Buffarea

Reaction score
Call Carl..there are two distributors a large one and small one. So you have two options and you have to know which one you have.
abe
Remove the rotor, if a 16mm socket will slide on the shaft, you have the smaller distributor. If it will not slide on, it's the big one.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
any idea which one (Petronix unit) fit your's?

16mm socket fits over my dizzy shaft.

1867A, the magnetic piece doesn't fit over the dizzy shaft.

Attachments

• 20210425_140102-1.jpg
    20210425_140102-1.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 64