Phoos in threads suddenly appear as links instead of thumbnails...

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Photos in threads suddenly appear as links instead of thumbnails...

I noticed that recently, the photos added to messages appear as a link instead of clickable thumbnail. I thought it was my machine but I always used to click on the little paper clip icon and add photos that way. They would appear as little thumbnails and once you clicked on one, it would open on top of the message and there was an arrow to move to the the next one.

Now it opens a new window with the jpg only and you have to click "Back" to returns to the forum and click on the next image. Really annoying.

Admin, is there something that can be done to go back to the previous behavior?

Thank you very much.

Previous behavior:

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21984

Current behavior:

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22503

Last edited:

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Agree, it's less efficient and bothersome. Wonder if it has to do with a change to the overall forum settings we can't control?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I happened when the host company change to a newer version of PHP. I've tried to fix the problem but looks like I'll have to find some hired help on this one. Bare with me on this...

Dan

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you copy the URL's of the attached images and then click on the little yellow icon with the mountain, you can embed the photos in your post full size.

like this:
attachment.php

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dan may need to consider the forum bandwidth -data usage-as well. Everyone who opens a thread may not need full resolution pictures. And a thread can have multiple posts with many pics. But it is great if full resolution pictures are available when trying to understand the details.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not posting from a URL, attaching from my computer. :-(

Hi Andrew,

The image that I embedded to illustrate the process is in fact one of BMachine's attached images. The images that you upload to this forum get a URL. Some people upload giant pics and you have no way to resize with tags, so sizing is important. I use a photo hosting site and can specify different URL's for different sized pictures. I stick with 1024x768 for embedded images. It may be large for computers older than 2010, but it works well on modern machines and phones.

For instance, here are your keys from Australia:
[url]http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18540&d=1464118977[/url]

And here is the same URL above wrapped with [IMG] tags. As you can see, the latest PHP bug has no effect on this approach.

[IMG]http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18540&d=1464118977

Last edited:

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OK, I think I get it now but it doesn't seem to work from my google pics even if I get the shared link.
3MyLKtGFC5bN44ay6

Last edited:

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer the clickable thumbnails. Twistignlane mentioned the bandwith benefits at the admin level, I like the fact that a page will load much quicker with thumbnails rather than full size images. I can then see what the images look like and if I want to see one at full rez, I can simply click on it.

This also avoids the problem of large images resizing your whole web pages bc they are wider than the standard text width.

However, I will admit that this is a personal preference. There is no right or wrong. And I really appreciate Dan spending his own time trying to fix it one way or the other. Thank you Dan.

B.

If you copy the URL's of the attached images and then click on the little yellow icon with the mountain, you can embed the photos in your post full size.

like this:
attachment.php

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
OK, I think I get it now but it doesn't seem to work from my google pics even if I get the shared link.
3MyLKtGFC5bN44ay6

Andrew,

You did it correctly but one has to jump through major hoops to make this work with google. I'd say that photo bucket is the most forum friendly hosting service. I use flickr and I need to jump through similar hoops. It's quite painful to do on my phone. Also, even if you did get that photo the embed, it's far too large for the screen.

If you want to really invest in each post and you have a good photo host, there are quite a number of things that you can do to create a rich experience:

I can create a large thumbnail that links to a normal size image (Click on image):

I can create a tiny thumbnail that links to a huge image (Click on image). Check out all the imperfections in my spare tail lights. Your browser may attempt to resize but the zoom option will be present.

You can also embed animated gifs. How is that for bandwidth. They say that BMW nostrils grow with age.
1292942968091701093.gif