photo of vynel top ?

boxster

Reaction score
Dose anyone have any photos of a coupe with a vynal top or where i can see one.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Heinous

Other than the fact that applying a vinyl top would likely lead to a rust issue....IMHO they do little to enhance the looks

Dave B

Reaction score
Vinly roofs

Suppose it's each to their own. My car has a vinyl roof - because it had the remains of one when I found it. Lots of British cars were being fitted with vinyl roofs in the 1970's and I think E9's were being fitted with vinyl by the importers? Someone could maybe confirm..

Wasn't fussed either way, so had one fitted to keep it the same.

http://www.e9coupe.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=67

No issues regarding rust in the 17 years I have had mine!

Christopher

Site Donor
Reaction score
Another Brit here with a vinyl roof. I believe they were fitted to the last coupes in an attempt to make them a little sportier looking / desirable to UK buyers. Like Dave I've never had a rust problem with mine, apart from a little on the sunroof itself. Remedied this by stripping the vinyl, treating the rust and replacing with an identical piece to match. I'd be interested to hear from any other owners who have a vinyl roof how it's finished at the back, bottom of rear screen. I have thin chrome strips as finishers but i've seen rubber strips too.

26d3756b6d236a367b4a7e1383edd12e.jpg

b518aecee42ab24adb1e11d75ef721a1.jpg

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
vinyl top...

After seeing the pictures of your e9, I'd like to formally apologise for any and all disparaging remarks about vinyl tops that I have made on any Euro cars. That's very handsome; and a great colour combo. Dave V. in NC

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
I wonder if the British importers who seem to have installed a lot of these were inspired by the Jaguar XJ6/12 coupes?

Christopher

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dusty - watch the post. Your 2002 might well be getting a Valentine card this weekend ! (better offer excepting !)

Bill - thanks for the compliment. I toyed with the thought of removing it during restoration but i'd become quite attached to it. It's a matter of both fashion and taste really - and opinions are often swayed by both.

Are vinyl tops peculiar to the UK ? - i wonder why ?

Tierfreund

Reaction score
Christopher said:
Are vinyl tops peculiar to the UK ? - i wonder why ?

Vinyl tops to me are like wingback chairs. Tastewise. Not bad, just peculiar in a certain direction.

And somehow a wingback chair, to me, fits the an english manor house much better tan a spanish hacienda...

:wink:

DustyM

Reaction score
DamienH - Have you any interior shots of your car, it looks like you have a grey leather interior and I'm contemplating the same for mine .

Cheers
Jon

damienh

Reaction score
It's probably more of a light beige. I wasn't sure about the turquoise piping at first, but I'm used to it now. Definitely fits the Turkis colour well if it's for your '02.

On my nacht blau coloured parts car the interior and vinyl roof are both a very light grey / blue which I think looks excellent, crying shame it's beyond repair, as it's got every conceivable extra and I've never seen another like it. Electric mirrors, electric aerial etc.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.bread3d.com/IMG_4226redcd.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.bread3d.com/IMG_4227redcd.jpg[/img]