Picked up a Supersprint Exhaust

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Howdy, everyone!

I picked up a full post-downpipe SuperSprint exhaust system for our cars (minus the headers because I'm switching to a S38 with lovely Euro headers that I already have... eventually) and I wanted to see if the board wanted any specific information / pictures / videos etc. about the process and results. The parts will arrive in a couple days.

I went with Supersprint because I like their non-raspy signature sound. I really don't like S54-style raspy exhaust noises. I had an E34 540 with their system (catback) years ago and loved the sound, so I am hoping this will be similar.

Right now, the car has a M30B35 with the original exhaust manifolds (due to the ~20 degree output flange twist vs the B35 units) and original dual downpipes with an O2 bung. So I'm hoping to use the SuperSprint downpipe to resonator coupler without issues. I figure I'll have to re-make things or make an additional stainless section to go between the S38 header output to the stock downpipe exit location.

I'd also like to note that I got the whole system from SuperSprint direct, and they offered free shipping. The tricky thing for US folks though, is there's a Customs ruling that you have to register as an 'official importer' with the Fed if you bring in a package worth more than $2500 USD. I managed to get the system for under that so the rule doesn't apply, but it is something to be aware of. There's a couple US distributors to avoid this, but I found their prices were about 20-30% higher by part.

Last edited:
I will be in need of a muffler for my M6 in the near future. Does this mean SS makes one for my car? I have looked extensively and I could only find OEM or Billyboat.

Right now, the car has a M30B35 with the original exhaust manifolds (due to the ~20 degree output flange twist vs the B35 units) and original dual downpipes with an O2 bung. So I'm hoping to use the SuperSprint downpipe to resonator coupler without issues. I figure I'll have to re-make things or make an additional stainless section to go between the S38 header output to the stock downpipe exit location.

I'd also like to note that I got the whole system from SuperSprint direct, and they offered free shipping. The tricky thing for US folks though, is there's a Customs ruling that you have to register as an 'official importer' with the Fed if you bring in a package worth more than $2500 USD. I managed to get the system for under that so the rule doesn't apply, but it is something to be aware of. There's a couple US distributors to avoid this, but I found their prices were about 20-30% higher by part.
Where are these listed on their website for e9?

Here's all the parts I ordered, for a complete post-downpipe system. They arrived on Monday, but of course I got a cold on Sunday night, just in time! I did manage to get the car all lifted up on Jackstands and ramps yesterday, though, which should give me enough creeper clearance. I don't have a lift (garage ceiling is too low for a 2 post) so this will be interesting, particularly since the original system was thrown together with a mish-mash of parts.

Current link to the E9 system: https://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/supersprint-performance-sport-exhaust-bmw-e9-30-cs.aspx

1715808872161.png

Question for the group- How critical is it to get new lower exhaust gaskets here? (the ones connecting the downpipe exits to the system) The system I am replacing has <5k miles on it (not enough driving) but it's ~15 years old. Ordering gaskets will delay things again, and I'm excited to put it together.

Attachments

• Total System.jpg
    Total System.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Bit of a wrinkle: I can't seem to get the old system off. I have attached a picture of the joint with the bolts removed. Any suggestions? The downpipes are the rusty bits. Rather surprising since they were new. I already pulled the hangars from everywhere else, so this is the last joint on the old system.

Attachments

• old exhaust joint.jpg
    old exhaust joint.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 105
OK, have a plan-

I'll get a U-clamp to put behind the downpipe flange, some extra nuts and bolts, then use the flange as a 'puller' to push the exhaust end off. I don't want to use a torch because of gearbox oil leaks in the area and I am working on a creeper with limited height.

Well, I got the system off, but unfortunately my plan failed.

Here's how it came together:
1715917224325.png

I ended up torqueing it so much that I bent the bolts. So something else had to be done. I went for the nuclear option and used a jigsaw. Once I got the system off, I could see the old shop had welded the downpipe to the tube, so there's no way I could have gotten it off.

Here's the old system removed:
1715917369280.png

Now I need to snag a couple of the torroidal gaskets and start putting the SuperSprint system together.

Side note for anyone wanting to do something similar: the exhaust did not come with gaskets or hangers for the primary muffler, so save yourself the aggravation and order ahead.

Total cost for 3 hangers (PN 18214690157, PN 18211103757) ~75$ plus the gaskets (18119067822 and 18111245489) ~30$ adds another ~$100 USD to the project cost.

Well, got it all in, finally. Some assembly/install notes:

1. The SuperSprint system uses a new hanger for the rear pipe that goes between the spare tire well and the exterior body skin below the rear bumper. It is incredibly tight. The SuperSprint instructions say to install the hanger to the car first, but if you do that, I don't see how you have enough space to get the hanger post into the hanger itself; there's not enough width. So I installed the hanger to the exhaust then installed the combo onto the hanger post on the car. It was so tight I could barely get my fingers between the exhaust, body, and spare well. I ended up using a pair of super thin wrenches to tighten the hanger to the body.
2. If you are doing this individually, have some bungee cords handy to act as extra hands.
3. I installed the system in pieces; using the new hangers I installed the large rear silencer first, attached the end section (with the shiny SuperSprint tip) to the large silencer and the body, installed the downpipe connectors to the long resonator section loosely, installed the resonator section to the rear silencer, then joined the downpipe connectors to the downpipes. Once I had everything loosely connected, I worked my way back, tightening things up as I went.
4. I also took this opportunity to change all bolts/nuts/washers/etc. to stainless, to make things easier in the future.

A set of half-moon and S-wrenches are hugely helpful here, as well as deep-well sockets.

I did take a short video at idle, here's a link to it on my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pNJYLjFltCtUGgNLl7pogqmyzIHEbjWk/view?usp=sharing

How does that compare to the price of the Fritz Bitz SS system?
I have the Fritz on my car and Stahl headers. Not too loud.
Steve may recall the sound from our trip to Legends.

I will be in need of a muffler for my M6 in the near future. Does this mean SS makes one for my car? I have looked extensively and I could only find OEM or Billyboat.
Rob, I have the BillyBoat cat back on my E24 and it is loud. I couldn't find an OEM muffler.

Back