Pics of my new Euro spec BMW

G-Man

Reaction score
http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/bimmerfan02/Gordon E28/

I picked this 85 Euro spec E28 525e 5 speed last Friday night in Santa Barbara. I found it on the Ventura County Craigslist. I couldn't pass this one up even though I was looking for another E30 to replace the one I totaled in Dec. How often do you come across Euro spec E28? Car came with a huge stack of receipts to include the EPA/DOT paperwork, and original window sticker (in German). I bought it for what the insurance payoff was on my E30, $1.8K. It's an original CA blue plate car, imported into CA at the height of the gray market era, shipped from the dealer in GE direct to the gray market importer in So Cal (I have original window sticker). Since it spent very little time in Germany and the rest of it's life in So Cal, it's rust free. At least the bottlecaps are non TRX which is a good thing. I have some 16" wheels and tires (225/50-16) that came off a 88 M5 that I may install on it.

The polaris clear coat is shot, has leather interior (drivers seat needs help), AC and cruise control is on the option list. This car is a time warp, it is totally stock, unusual brown interior with polaris. Down the road, the side marker lights will come off when it gets repainted. I'll repaint it in polaris. The only accident damage that I can tell is a slight dent in the drivers side rear quarter panel/bumper, you can see in the pics. Seller told me it was a hit and run while parked. It has sun damage, (cracked dash) but I'll take sun damage any day over rust and salt damage.

Don't know what I'll do with it yet. First thing is that the sealed beams are coming off and H1/H4 lights are going on. What I would like to do with the E28 is the traditional Euro look, 7" H1 and 5.75" H4, like this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BMW_525i_E28_01.jpg
Anyone have a set of the E28 Euro light set up for sale to include the grille, headlight buckets? I'm missing the fog lights that go next to the turn signals so that's another thing I need to acquire.

When I breath the high octane fumes, I think of dropping in a M30 3.5L but the voice from the alter of orginality says leave this car alone. I also have the option of pulling the e motor and installing the M20 i motor from my 89 E30 325i parts car. Decisions, decisions, but that's down the road.

I need some feedback from the peanut gallery on suggestions regarding this E28.

Anyone have a spare E28 owners manual? The one that came with the car is in German.

G-Man
91 318i
89 325i (RIP, great parts car)
86 325 (youngest daughters DD)
85 525e Euro spec
81 528i Euro spec
74 2002tii (many mods)
70 E3 2800 Euro spec
96 4Runner (parts hauler)

x_atlas0

Reaction score
You could also just swap the heads, (e for an i) change a few other things around and make a 2.7L M20 stroker.

Overall, however, I seriously doubt the 528e will ever be really sought after, so you could throw originality out the window and have fun with it.