Plastic grilles on the hood & front wings- black or chro

dr.lazzaroni

Reaction score
At first I thought the black ones I've seen around merely were results of the owners taking the easy way out after having given up restoring the chromed surfaces on these plastic details. Later my theory has proved wrong... (see upper right CSL detail photo, for instance). Are the different layouts connected to given body colours?
I have two cars, silver and arctic blue. Both seem to have grilles that have been sprayed black by previous owners - or am I hallusinating?

PS Just received a nice pair of Lederhosen from Bavaria, aqquired on eBay. Oktoberfest, here I come!

Malc

Reaction score
As far as I am aware the grilles on the bonnet (hood) and the fake side vents were always in black plastic on later cars, early ones I am not so sure about. I believe there were or are reproduction ones available with a chrome finish.

The black plastic grilles do begin to break down in the sun, usually ending up with a chalky white/grey surface. Often they are painted to try and restore the finish.
Malc

m_thompson

Reaction score
The grills were available in chrome and black. There is supposed to be some correlation between the body color and the grill color. The idea being that light body colors had black grills and dark body colors had chrome grills. In reality the color/grill relationship is very random. My Nachtblau coupe came with chrome grills.

pmansson

Reaction score
I beleive that all cars up to mid-late 1972 had silver painted grilles rather than the bright chromed plastic grilles available today. The early ones were sort of matte alu colour. They (silver/chrome) look very nice with the correct black bottom (self adhesive) whereas the black ones with black bottom just look like a black hole on the fenders. But then again, taste is personal.

steve in reno

Reaction score
My march 1970 production 2800cs has always had chromed plastic bonnnet and side grills.
I had mine re-chromed by a company in Canada. I have never seen silver/alum painted grills. Black were for later models, but I have no idea what year change happened.
steve