Please critique this one

Ed 3.0

Reaction score
I am new to the forum and interested in finding a nice 3.0 CS to join my small but carefully selected collection of Porsches. I really want a somewhat larger coupe than the 356/911 Porsches and think the 3.0,particularly a '72 would fit the bill nicely.

Anyway, found this one on ebay and am eager to hear your comments, based on condition, price, etc. I see what appears to be a dent in the center of the rear bumper, what do you see? I am pretty much a novice when it comes to e9 coupes so your input is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ed

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972...rs_Trucks&hash=item5ae9253d28#ht_33777wt_1167

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice shots, except he is missing the suspect areas. Trunk floor, shock towers from above and below, under the dash, with the rocker covers off, the area around the wiper motor, etc. The big consideration with an E9 (Like an old Porsche I suppose) is structural rust. It will have some, just how much is the question that matters.

waynesie

Reaction score
Whats with the valve cover breather tube connection to the K&N filter top. The rest is so nice in the engine bay and then to do that.... It probably works fine... But it is on top.

It has been repained, and looks recent. if they can supply pictures of the restoration and any body work done it will definitely help calm fears of what is under.

$35k and no red handled screw drivers.??

It is pretty.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
+3 to Nicad....
Megs of pics and not 1 of a fender seam or rocker

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
from what i've heard, from a friend who had a deposit on one from them, went up to look at it and walked away because of rust not shown in pix ... and had to fight to get his $$$ back. proceed with caution would be my advice ... go look at it with somebody who knows these cars. or find a reputable local group to evaluate it.

good luck
scott

execmalibu

Reaction score
Porsche 356 and early 911s are rust proof compared to E9s

I have owned literally 100s of early Porsches from a 550RS to a GT Speedster to several Carrera 2 Cabs to numerous early 911S and compared to the BMW E9s Porsches are rust proof...

Look very closely at any E9 even So Cal cars for rust in the usual places. There are hidden places in the front and rear fenders that were designed by morons and these areas literally catch dirt and water...

The E9s are absolutely beautiful and when right are great cars and make a great addition to an early Porsche collection. But like any early Porsche if you find any drama in the body walk away... Actually don't just walk away blast away a fast as possible in a 917/30!:razz:

jmackro

Reaction score
Whats with the valve cover breather tube connection to the K&N filter top. The rest is so nice in the engine bay and then to do that....

Yup, agree. I also can't figure out why they included not one, but four photos that highlight that klugey breather. It's like they're proud of it!

bombayflash

Reaction score
3.0 @ danial schmitt

Odd combination for fjord blue and beige int. Usually dark blue is common. Doubt if color is original.
Don't see a tool box in the trunk lid.
Have talked with them and suspect a lot of misinformation on the cars and the mileage.
Prices are all over the place. Going higher recently just like the old 911 prices. A bubble waiting to burst, like stocks and housing??

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
I’m 110% with Nicad & sfdon, most of all before I would even consider looking up airline prices I would want to see excellent photos of the shock towers, fender skirts and the fender’s rain gutters that connect to the top of the skirts. I’m attaching photos of a near mint California car so you can get a feel for what the stock sound deadener and panel seams look like.
Even my own maroon coupe is a pretty decent example except that the sound deadener has shrunk back and exposed white primer at the edges. When I initially contacted the previous owner I suspected it was a white car that was repainted maroon. Good luck with your search. ~ John Buchtenkirch

!1acoupe11.jpg

!1acoupe12.jpg

!1acoupe13.jpg

DSC00007 (4).jpg

DSC00006 (4).jpg

Ed 3.0

Reaction score
Guys, thanks very much for all of the feedback on this car and on Schmitt. I've come across their site looking at cars over the years and always felt they were a little suspect. Seems like there may even be another Schmitt in St. Louis cut from that same cloth.

Your responses are exactly what I need, a critical eye with an emphasis on the most vulnerable spots. I think the comment that really got me was from execmalibu, a name I recognize from the Early S Registry, when he said, "compared to the BMW E9s Porsches are rust proof".

If any of you know of a particularly insightful thread that highlights the important things to consider in an E9 purchase, please don't be shy about directing me there. Again, thanks for all of your help.

Ed

David

Site Donor
Reaction score

Looks like the dealer not only lost a case from someone he pissed off enough to take him to court, but the dealer actually appealed the ruling--and lost.

No way. Too many reputable sources for these cars to get tied-up with this guy. Hang out here for awhile and we can help you steer clear of danger.

JDJ

Reaction score
I just went through this process with the guys at Coupe King. I hate buying cars and I don't care for car salesman much. These guys are the best. So decent and honest and very well educated on these cars. I found them from guys on this board and I would recommend that you do the same. If not them, someone people know and feel good about. You may pay up but it will be a solid car.

Fstede1

Reaction score
ED3.0
Go to EBay # 190719046833 very attractive Cp. located in Newpot Beach,Ca. Don't let distance bother you. Plenty of guys in So Cal to help do PPI

Good Luck

execmalibu

Reaction score
Ed give me a call I know of a few cars here in So Cal

Ed give me a call I know of a few cars here in So Cal...

Jeff

(310) 456-8833

Gernstetter

Reaction score
Ed give me a call I know of a few cars here in So Cal...

Jeff

(310) 456-8833

Ditto on Schmitt, I am originally from St. Louis and just reading their adds, they could be construed as misleading, especially on mileage....had a really expensive experience with them on a 55 T Bird that ended up being an absolute piece of crap and had to be completely restored

Like any dealer that has a lot of cars, some are nice and others are just not worth it, bought the car for convenience....never buy a car because it is close, with the price of shipping, even from Europe.....worth it in the long run to find the right car, wherever it is.....and if it runs.....road trip!!!!!