Poll: Does your car have an OEM motor/head

Engine Combo

• Total voters

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
This poll is intended to identify the percentage of folks (or responders) with an original cylinder head. Word is that they are prone to cracking, but perhaps that is an urban legend. My theory is that 70% of e9’s have a head swap or motor swap. I wonder where we will land. Either way, this poll will produce interesting results and hopefully spark some fun dialogue.

Feel free to chime in with your favorite motor. Vote on current and past cars (if you are certain on details). I’m out of polling options so don’t complain if I can’t include your 2jz swap.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sadly, you can only vote for a particular list item once. For collection purposes, note that I had one more car with a period motor and swapped 1983+ head.

buddha

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My ‘74 3.0CS (parts car) had an original block and ‘82 OEM head.

My ‘70 2800CS has a M90 swap euro.

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have original motor but the head is not on car, I put on an nos head and hotter cam and kept the original head for safe keeping. Not sure how to vote, feel free to note accordingly

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Seems that you may get polling data to show what's non original but you won't know why.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have original motor but the head is not on car, I put on an nos head and hotter cam and kept the original head for safe keeping. Not sure how to vote, feel free to note accordingly

Vote twice. Once for original motor, original head. Once for original motor 3+ year head. The important thing (to me) is that you had the original head and it was operational.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Seems that you may get polling data to show what's non original but you won't know why.

The poll is biased with my presumption that few can speak to why their head isn’t original, unless they performed a swap.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mark,

I have not voted, as I'm not sure what 'original motor' signifies. I have an M30 block (new 3.5 block) that was bored, and new components to provide a longer stroke (engine is 92 mm X 92mm), with an '80's block and upgraded cam. So - in my opinion, NOTHING (except maybe the oil filter canister and bolt) is original, but it also doesn't fit any of your other categories.

In a 'purely political' sense, I'm being denied my voting privileges!! - HA HA.

Cheers, and I'm fine with being a major outlier - there will be no lawsuit!!

Gary

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
In a 'purely political' sense, I'm being denied my voting privileges!! - HA HA.

You aren’t being denied. You are being marginalized. Vote in the “other” category.

Original motor means original to the car.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I modified the titles to be a bit more intuitive.
currently tracking a 45% of e9’s
with numbers matching blocks have a head swap.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I modified the titles to be a bit more intuitive.

Yeah, seems like I didn't understand the earlier titles, it's not an option but this would describe me best:
Unoriginal period m30 block, head year/serial 3+ year delta

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, seems like I didn't understand the earlier titles, it's not an option but this would describe me best:
Unoriginal period m30 block, head year/serial 3+ year delta

Sorry, creating intuitive surveys and collecting data isn’t my expertise. I work with previously collected data daily, and survey data is by far the worst. In a perfect scenario, I have 20 specific polling options to chose. Experts interested in a healthy response rate would tell me that this is a terrible idea.

There are a lot of flaws with the survey. Chiming in to say that your car doesn’t have the original head outlines a perceived “flaw” in ones car. People chime in to showcase that their car is original or has a cool swap, but they are less inclined to showcase problems. It is a well known fact that a percentage of responders don’t respond truthfully, even on anonymous surveys. It is strange human psychology. I don’t think that folks here are untruthful, but I think that some will be hesitant to share.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
My poll would've read like this...

-- Numbers matching block with head within two years of car manufacture date.
-- Not

:cool:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
My poll would've read like this...

-- Numbers matching block with head within two years of car manufacture date.
-- Not

:cool:

Gotta love the beauty of simplicity. However, with the current results, that would tell you that 60% of e9's do not have the original head. Just like any news poll (liberal or conservative), that would certainly work the desired argument. In my case, that 70% of e9's had a head swap. It obscures that fact that the majority of the head swaps would have been from a performance motor swap, which my over complicated granular poll will tell us. :cool:

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mark,

Since the screen on my computer with the poll voting choices does not offer 'other' as a choice, here is my vote: X Other

Cheers guys, so glad there are still those 45 - 50 year old blocks and heads running up and down the roads.

Gary--

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
so Gary, what type of engine is in your car? i thought the list had everything possible - m30/b30 - m30/b32 - m30/b34 (us or euro) - m30/b35 - m90 - s38 / m88 and a big group of other

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
It obscures that fact that the majority of the head swaps would have been from a performance motor swap
... because their original head cracked? Because they just wanted more performance and pulled a perfectly good engine out? I don't see how this data will be conclusive enough other than knowing if it's original or not.

My simple mind needs simple polls. 8)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
... because their original head cracked? Because they just wanted more performance and pulled a perfectly good engine out? I don't see how this data will be conclusive enough other than knowing if it's original or not.

My simple mind needs simple polls. 8)

Again, I am operating under the assumption that most people don't know why their head was swapped, so I didn't ask any "why" questions. I'm just curious to know what the percentage of unoriginal heads are. A member recently posted that the early heads didn't crack, and it was the thermal reactor that caused heads to crack. That doesn't add up for me based on the fact that most cars that I have inspected don't have the original head. So I asked the question: "why do 70% of existing e9’s have replacement heads? They have no thermal reactor or cat.". The first step for me in understanding that question is to figure out if my 70% is way off base, or if it is accurate. It still doesn't explain why heads were swapped.

Current figure is 35% swapped heads...