Powder Coat Wheels?

m_thompson

Reaction score
Does anyone know the a manufacturer and color for powder coat paint that will match the original silver wheel color?

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had my Alpina wheels powder coated (Area 51 Powdercoating, New Bern, NC) for $200! Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly what the name of the color was; I want to say "bengal silver." It is a brighter silver with more metal flake than stock BMW wheels which was the effect I wanted. To me, the stock color is dull, I wanted something that looked a bit more modern without being too "bling."

Check out the photos of the alpina wheels in my album:

http://s641.photobucket.com/albums/uu139/1302lt/?action=view&current=IMG_0974.jpg

Walter

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
no sorry

i am sorry, i have no idea

i had them restored in portugal, the result is beautiful, but know no colour spec.

IMG00075-20110217-1018.jpg

PaulinPa

Reaction score
Hey Walter,Wheels look great!Is that $200 per wheel?Do they powdercoat the entire wheel front back and sides or just the front?In your album it looks like the wheel centers are black?Did you paint over the powdercoating?Thanks.

jmackro

Reaction score
When I had my stock rims powdercoated (by Primo's in Huntington Beach, Ca.) I looked at all of their various color samples. They had one called "German Wheel Silver". I said, "well, that sounds right". Fortunately, it looked right too - doesn't have a lot flake, but is more silver than grey.

Dunno if every powdercoater carries that color, but you might ask for it.

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Paul,

That was $200 for all four wheels! All wheels were completely powdercoated too (you can't beat certain parts of the South for labor rates). The pictures of the wheels in the grass are not the same ones pictured on the fjord coupe (for sale!) in the rest of the album. The newly powdercoated wheels are on my Sienna coupe which is being worked on right now. I did paint the centers black myself with a semi-gloss black and clear coat; the job was a snap and they turned out great.

I can't say enough about how good they look. There is no rubbery powdercoat look to them which I feared and they should hold up pretty well compared to painted wheels.

-Walter

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
$200 for all 4 ?!
My painted wheels done by a popular shop in Orange County, CA cost much more than that and didnt last 500 miles before the started to chip.

It would be helpful if you could post their contact information for future reference. They look great.

jmackro

Reaction score
OK, so you guys got me curious as to what I had paid in March of 2009 to have my wheels powdercoated here in "high priced" California. Primo Powder Coating (17592 Gothard, Huntington Beach) blasted and coated five wheels for $275. Now this was two years ago - can't tell you what they are charging today.

Walter wrote: "you can't beat certain parts of the South for labor rates". Well, I guess that applies to South California too!

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Can they powder coat wheels in two-tone, such as the black centers on silver Alpina rims?

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
David - here is the website w/ price list: http://www.area51powdercoating.com/

jmackro - yeah, I guess I figured things had to be more expensive in Cali (everything else seems to be) without really knowing what the going rate is. $275 for five is a great price and is only 10% more expensive.

bert - Area 51 could not do a two-tone powder coat (jmackro, maybe your guys could?)

jmackro

Reaction score
Area 51 could not do a two-tone powder coat (jmackro, maybe your guys could?)

Well, I have no idea. The question never came up. You can contact them at http://www.primo-powder.com/ and ask.

Much as I like Primos, I'm not sure they are the best powdercoater in the world. Or even in Huntington Beach. My point being that if you are located in Washington DC, I certainly wouldn't suggest shipping wheels cross-continent just for powder coating. There must be someone closer who will do the masking necessary to produce a two-tone job.

Dave L

Reaction score
re-coating wheels

I had mine done a few years ago at a place called Speedway Metal Finishing in Santa Ana, CA. I spent $200 for all four, but then I say that was in 2005. I will say that they did a heck of a job. They are still in boxes, I've never put them on the car.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Don't recommend powder coating wheels because

PC works mostly by creating a solid film that's very tough. However, if that film ever gets compromised it can allow contaminants (moisture, etc.) under the film and then trap it there.
I had a set of BBS multi-piece alloys powercoated (clear) a few years ago, and a slight nick from some a road pebble compromised the coating. 2 months later I noticed that the aluminum was oxidizing underneath the film. Now I have to strip it all off and start over again.

Next time I would go with a high quality self etching primer that's compatible with Al (Dupont variprime 615s is a good choice), and finish with normal automotive urethane paint.

I put this primer on some bare metal on my daily beater (540i), and it's been impervious for 5 years. And that's without any form of top-coat!

John

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
prices

$200 for all 4 ?!
My painted wheels done by a popular shop in Orange County, CA cost much more than that and didnt last 500 miles before the started to chip.

It would be helpful if you could post their contact information for future reference. They look great.

ok, you are not going to send them across the pond, but in portugal they charged me with 50 euro per unit, so it makes 200 euro for the 4 set, and plus 15 euro for assembly and equilibrate of each wheel, so clearly it is more expensive here!