Power of the Hammer

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Quite impressive how this team works this very heavy hunk of steel so efficiently. Glad I wasn't born locally and recruited into this to pay for my food. Almost as bad as a Glace Bay coal mine in 1910.

Last edited:

Bwana

Reaction score
Wow. We use flanges like that here. I wonder how many of ours were actually made that way....

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
wow... it's mesmerizing to watch. Obviously this team has built a bunch of these. It's remarkable the steel remained hot enough to be formed over the 13 minutes.

Did you catch the use of calipers at the very end, measuring outside diameter?

It would be interesting to compare this process to what occurs in a modern mechanized steelworks plant.

Ed

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
Brings back good memories for me, I was 20 when I hired on at the Southern Pacific RR. Being a Boilermaker/ Blacksmith using the Hammer was a thrill to work with, we made everything from snow plows to gears for turntables for bridges. We had to get permission from the court house in Sacramento because we shook the building downtown... good times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow. We use flanges like that here. I wonder how many of ours were actually made that way....
Just wondering why these wouldn't be cast instead of pounded? Anyone know?

Bwana

Reaction score
Forging is much stronger, yes. A casting is like styrofoam compared with a forging.

Exactly. Think of crankshafts or connecting rods in racing engines vs. your common Chevy Vega engine. All the HiPo engine parts are forged

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
From Wikipedia: Forging can produce a piece that is stronger than an equivalent cast or machined part. As the metal is shaped during the forging process, its internal grain deforms to follow the general shape of the part. As a result, the grain is continuous throughout the part, giving rise to a piece with improved strength characteristics.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
This type of flange is used in what type of application? A Nuke Plant hopefully not.