Power steering problem/noises M30B35

Rjsnyc

Reaction score
My power steering is having the squeals. Topped off the fluid (It has the E9 reservoir). Noticed the belt on the pump was lacking tension. Got under the car and adjusted the pump for better tension on the belt (my PS belt is driven by the crank, not the water pump). Sound went away for a day, then right back. I have no problems steering the car.

Is there an easy way to determine if I just need a new belt or if the pump itself is failing?

There are a lot of posts on PS pumps but difficult to assimilate.

Kind regards

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Rjsnyc - sfdon works on our cars for a living, and knows as much about them as anyone on the planet. He posts here to support our hobby (and, yeah, because it helps his reputation and we are potential customers for him).

He won't steer you wrong, and while his advice is sometimes cryptic, if he takes the time to consider your problem, I highly recommend you do what he suggests.

stphers

Reaction score
If the belt is a little old or not used as much ( as so many of our cars ) and it has been slipping a little, they can become " glazed " and no matter how much you tighten the belt, it will still squeal a bit or sometimes a lot Remember, it's basically rubber and rubber in that area of the eng doesn't last forever

Thanks, Rick

skk

Site Donor
Reaction score
Anecdote: The PS filter was the root cause of PS squeal on my E24 once upon a time. They get old and yucky. Replace it and fresh fluid. Cheap and easy. Just do it. Even if it doesn't resolve your problem, you'll have done a good thing.

Rjsnyc

Reaction score
Anecdote: The PS filter was the root cause of PS squeal on my E24 once upon a time. They get old and yucky. Replace it and fresh fluid. Cheap and easy. Just do it. Even if it doesn't resolve your problem, you'll have done a good thing.
Thanks. and to @sfdon. Waiting for the new filter to arrive. Then I will dig in

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
A fun "how's the filter?" The new one is on the right.
IMG_1058_0.jpg

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I will shortly. I've seen numerous posts about the filter. Could it really be the cause?
Good advise, first solve all the evident nuances, then we will dig deeper
This weekend me turning steering and swissssh noise, was it low reservoir level
all system was renewed, and it seems that must refill thrice

Last edited:

Rjsnyc

Reaction score
And how does your PS filter look?
Replaced the PS pump filter. It didn't look that bad. Refreshed the fluid. Still same noise, but goes away after driving for five+ minutes. When cold the noise starts again. I'm assuming belts are next?

The PS pump to crank belt is a Continental AVX 10 x 888 la (It is connected directly to the crank not the water pump). I didn't get a good pic of the alternator belt. See attached. Anyone have a guess on which belt fits the alternator? I'm a good distance from the car. Again the engine is a M30B35.

Thanks @sfdon et al.

Attachments

• IMG_9909.jpeg
    IMG_9909.jpeg
    360.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0018.jpeg
    IMG_0018.jpeg
    240 KB · Views: 29
Last edited: