Power Window Gear

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Matthew wants to try an all-plastic gear first, for cost reasons.

Comments?

I was thinking on the same lines. Perhaps a stronger plastics / nylon.
I will report back after talking to my nephew the engineer.

I wonder if machined from aluminum would be better?

andyleonard

Site Donor
Reaction score
I wonder if machined from aluminum would be better?[/QUOTE]

The old Maseratis had a similar problem...some weird pressed fiber or plastic drive gear that gave it up...and we made a batch of aluminum gears that were fine. Not cheap but fine.

Target for the all-plastic gears would be under $15.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A part number is listed for the entire gear box (NLA), but not just the gear so I don't believe the gear was meant to be replaceable.

I would think they designed one part to wear first and made it small and replaceable, only you can no longer find replacements

pmansson

Reaction score
Removal and leaving windows slightly open

I have had so many of these electric gear motors apart for cleaning and lubrication, but I have never removed the plastic wheel. I have tried once or twice, without using much force or time. How do you get them off the axle?

Someone suggested leaving the windows slightly open when parking the cars. Interesting idea. I never thought about this. On the other hand, when putting the car on a 2post lift, I always open all the windows slightly as the body flexes and puts pressure on the glass/roof.

andyleonard

Site Donor
Reaction score
Back in the day there was a little pigtail wound spring dealer retrofit for the black rubber bumpers that swell and cause all the trouble. Or equally, we used to just pop the rubber off and reset the steel as the stop.

Removing the gear is easy. I used a press because I did, but it seems a 13/16" socket around the back and a few swats with a plastic hammer on a drift centered on the axle does the trick. 2 seconds on, 2 seconds off.

FastCougar

Reaction score
Correct, I had to triage the passenger's side gear because it had stripped, but on the bottom half. So I simply removed the gear puck and flipped it so that it now had teeth engagement and now works. This is a temp fix, not sure how much time it will buy, but it's much faster than retrofitting an e28 motor due to all the modification to the regulator arm/gear housing.

andyleonard

Site Donor
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm owning one of these gears that is 100% all plastic and not a nylon ring gear on a steel center?

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have had so many of these electric gear motors apart for cleaning and lubrication, but I have never removed the plastic wheel. I have tried once or twice, without using much force or time. How do you get them off the axle?

Remove transmission from window cassette. Requires removing the window cassette from the car.

To remove: Place the small gear on the back over an open vice to support the case. With a nail set or punch tap on the center of the axle on the nylon gear with a hammer. That should press the axle out.

To reinstall: Use the vice to press the axle back into the nylon gear. Once the gears are pressed. Use a small piece of pipe and vice to press the nylon gear the rest of the way, or place the small gear on the back on a hard surface and use a pice of pipe and a hammer to tap them the rest of the way.

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 95

pmansson

Reaction score
Nylon gear removal

Thanks,
I have had them all open, to remove the 40 year old grease. Even the small lid at the axle top where a metal wheel turns in grease (and can be tightened via a screw from the top).
I have just not bothered to press out the wheel, as none have been damaged.
As I say this, I have one stuck rear quarterlight on one of my many cars. The cover plate is off, a hole cut in the plastic, and I have tried using my thumb and even a screwdriver to get it going. I will try again, next time I am in Switzerland where the car currently is. I will drive it to Sweden in 2 weeks time. No need to open it anytime soon with Europe´s autumn coming early this year.

andyleonard

Site Donor
Reaction score
Someone needs to post a picture of the white plastic factory tool supplied with the cars to unstick your brand-new BMW's stuck windows.