PPI in Texas

BMWbodger

Reaction score
Hello Newbie here...I've been looking at purchasing an E9 down here in Texas. Does anyone know who can be recommended for a PPI and perhaps an honest appraisal of either a complete or project car? Thanks

LonestarZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
PPI in Houston

Try Texas German Autohaus on Edlo for the PPI. Or maybe Driver's Source on Memorial, either one could probably refer you to an appraiser.

FYI. There is a small group of e9 owners here in Houston, if you get one, look us up.

Bwana

Reaction score
What car is for sale? As Lonestar mentioned there are a few of us here and we generally know where most of the cars are.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
If you have a particular vehicle in mind, I strongly suggest you post pictures here. It is amazing what the guys here can divine from some pictures. Hell, Arde was able to profile the seller of my car (apparently she is a Sagitarius) and Stan was able to tell me she last filled up at a BP station, using premium unleaded gasoline.

Seriously, these guys are good.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bodger, I'm in Austin- there are better experts in Houston I'm sure but let me know if I can help. If you're up this way I can throw one of the coupes on the lift and show you some of the trouble spots you should look out for. Might make your PPI more fun :)

BMWbodger

Reaction score
Guys, thanks for the replies. The individual with the car is going to send me information/pics in a week or so. It's a '73 stalled project that, according to him, is almost done but for completing the engine rebuild. Reportedly, parts have been purchased but needs teardown and rebuilding. I've been looking for an E9 for several years and have an idea of values but the mid-project thing is a little more difficult to assess. I don't mind a project if the admission price is reasonable. I'll share what I get.

BTW Peter, you and I have something in common other than living in Texas. I was in a conversation with Larry (related to Mario) about the coupe that you recently purchased and he told me that a buyer was coming on that Monday who would probably purchase the car. Glad that you got it. The car seems like a worthy project and just as described to me.

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Bodger,
I am also happy to assist in taking a look. I am not an expert but have certainly seen plenty of the good and the bad in these cars, and their relatives.

I also have the good fortune (or misfortune) of having purchased a stalled restoration (otherwise known as a basket case)...and would be happy to tell you where I think that project is headed.

Also in Houston...Clear Lake area.

Drew

Last edited:

jamesw

Reaction score
I "third" that. I'm in Houston (Heights area near downtown) and happy to help evaluate the car. I have seen them from rusty basket case to fully restored car.

Cheers
James

BMWbodger

Reaction score
Guys, finally got the chance to view the 72 CS project. VIN 2240258. Reportedly a CA car, been in Houston for years. Body work and paint done, interior being completed, replaced floors and inner front fenders. Seems pretty rust free but there is more work to be done in the front fender area. Engine bay, firewall look pretty clean. Trunk has not been done but looks fine as is. Engine head is off with machine work also reportedly complete. Most parts are scattered around. Comes with another spare 3.0 engine w/5 speed Getrag. Is this car familiar to anyone here? Thanks, Bodger

Attachments

• 1972 3.0CS 001.jpg
    1972 3.0CS 001.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 181
  • 1972 3.0CS 008.jpg
    1972 3.0CS 008.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 178
  • 1972 3.0CS 006.jpg
    1972 3.0CS 006.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 179
  • 1972 3.0CS 009.jpg
    1972 3.0CS 009.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 183

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Have not seen that car before.

Let me know if you need any help loading it up or getting it loaded up and sent on its way.

jamesw

Reaction score
I'm in Houston and I have not seen that car before either. It looks like a heck of a project.

Let me know if you need help w/ anything.

I also have a pulled-running 3.3 engine if you'd like to try that rather than your 3.0. I just want to get rid of it so no reasonable offer refused, etc...lol

James

BMWbodger

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. Would any of you Houston guys be willing to take a look at the car to assist me in evaluating the project? If so, why don't you send me a PM. Thanks much!