Ppi

acat2002

Reaction score
Hey folks,
It's been a while since I've posted, but I still visit all the time since I've sold my '73 CSA.
What can I say, but this group is great even for us outkasts and lurkers! Since being dormant, I've been saving my words and will now spend my annual quota of characters as follows:

Anyway, I've got a bit of an issue I'd like to share and ask the advise of some of our more 'even-keeled' members. Technically, this is not E9 related so if DanG or whoever wants to move this thread, I guess I'd understand. However it has to do with the relationship between mechanics and customers (which has everything to do with E9s). If you'd like, just insert "CSL" in place of "X".

The story goes like this:

I'm interested in a vintage "X" car and its out of state. Logically, I network with some people and reach out to the requisite "X" car forums for some referals for shops that can perform a proper PPI. Find one, talk at length with the guy to see if he knows his stuff and he does. Agree to pay $90/hr for his time and have the "X" car shipped to him so he can look at it leisurely and not rushed with the owner looking over his shoulder. I told him to spend no more than 2-3 hours but was specific in what I wanted him to look for (correct chassis numbers, rust, the usual). I wanted him to report only to me as is customary with most PPI arrangements.

Meanwhile I'm negotiating with the owner who is leaving the country and needs to sell. Before the PPI even occurs I do enough due diligence to figure out that this poor owner got soaked when he purchased it five years ago. Typical story, shady fluff-n-buff dealer put lipstick on a pig etc. etc. Seller understands that "X" is worth much less than what he paid for it for a variety of reasons, but rather than insult him I was going to wait for the formal PPI so there was an independent 3rd party's report. Seller is a cool guy to deal with. He's realistic, honest and genuinely wants to sell.

So a few days go by and i have not seen a report or been emailed any pictures with the PPI, so I call the "shop" and speak to the owner/mechanic who spends a good deal of time telling me why I shouldn't buy this "X" car. We actually chatted for a good 30 minutes, which I was surprise he wanted to invest that much time explaining something to me that would be in report form anyway. So as it turns out, the "X" car was mechanically pretty sound and remarkably rust free. The problems surrounded it's grey-market European origins and its lack of paperwork - that's it. Otherwise it's a great find. Of course if it's a non-legit import its a really nice paperweight!

I call the owner and offer him 25% of his original asking price under the premise of extreme caution and risk. He reluctantly accepts because he's leaving the country next month and we've struck up somewhat of a rapport. Great.

Well here is where things get dicey. Seller/owner calls the PPI mechanic to have some personal effects mailed to him that are still in the car and THEY end up chatting. I wasn't privy to the conversation, but the net result was the Seller sheepishly called me back saying the deal was off the table because the PPI mechanic was willing to pay more. He supposedly was going to dismantle the car for parts, yeilding more value and taking any risk of liability away from the seller (magic words right?).

Sorry, I should have cautioned you to take a seat or pull of scotch before I mentioned that bit!

Can you believe it? Actually nothing surprises me in the car world these days especially when people have become more and more desparate to turn a profit in this miserable economy. I still have not figured out how I plan to address the PPI shop, but we all know that it takes a lifetime to build a reputation and minutes to destroy it!

Truthfully, though I was excited about the deal, the risks were very real and maybe this is a blessing in disguise. I refuse to become emotional about business deals. However, the lesson here (that I feel I should share with this group - because the topic of PPI comes up frequently) is when you enter into a "service contract" with a PPI shop or individual, memorialize it in writing! What if this had been a barnfind CSL that I had negotiated at $0.50 on the dollar?, or anything that was REALLY important to me? No, this wasn't the most important thing to me, but I did have many hours tied up in due dilligence, establishing a rapport with seller and negotiating.

...and for those that cast some blame on the seller.....here is a guy already taking a bath and needs the money. I don't fault him if somebody waived a premium in his face (I didn't give him a deposit because I figured it was a done deal). At a minimum, the PPI guy should have told me he'd be interested, right?

Anyway, let me know what you think of this situation and above all be careful out there!

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think the new buyer should reimburse you for the PPI, and perhaps pay you for the due diligence. I agree it takes a short time to destroy a rep. Quite unethical if you ask me.

execmalibu

Reaction score
The PPI guy snaked you!!! Unfair and deceptive business practices...

The PPI guy snaked you because he liked the car for himself and tried to discourage you from buying the car!... If you paid him or have at least emails then there is a fiduciary relationship between you...

In law this would fall under the unfair and deceptive practices heading... You would win the case and argue for specific performance... If you prevail you both get the car along with punitive damages if you intend to proceed...

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
Absolutely unethical on the part of the PPI, somewhat scummy but understandable on the part of the buyer. This seems to happen fairly often in the Porsche world; lots of similar posts on Pelican.

You can try to get things in writing in advance, but it's only going to help you if you hire a lawyer and invest time and money, and the dollar value of the car would have to be awfully high to make that back.

I once had a signed contract to rent a vacation house through a real estate agent, and the homeowner tried to hold me up for more money. The agent was livid, and said that someone probably offered him more money. I asked a lawyer and he said obviously I was in the right, but advised me to think which I wanted more: My money and my peace of mind, or the rental. He advised that if the guy felt he was entitled to more, I'd likely not get my security deposit back. I let the house go.

acat2002

Reaction score
Absolutely unethical on the part of the PPI, somewhat scummy but understandable on the part of the buyer. This seems to happen fairly often in the Porsche world; lots of similar posts on Pelican.
Indeed it does!
@thehackmechanic- I noticed you're reporting from within a 5-mile radius of The Blue Ribbon! Best BBQ in New England and responsible for my uncontrollable weight gain in my late 20s when working within a block of there.

Anyway, I'm simply glad I was lukewarm about the vehicle and I will not let that happen with anything of significant importance.

I think it's important to obtain a referral directly from someone the mechanic does business with regularly. Therefore, he has something real to lose if he pulls some nonsense (his reputation). My referal was sort of teirtiary so he really is not accountable to anyone on this matter. It's just a lesson and one that I hope none of you have to deal with (which is the only reason I talked about it here - as opposed to the myriad of "X"-specific forums with people I haven't connected with yet).

Just be careful out there - It's a dog-eat-dog world and you're wearing bacon shorts!

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
So, can you say who the PPI was?

I've done PPI's thru reputable shops for all my cars and haven't gotten burned in this way yet.
It would be a service to other members to know who this PPI mechanic is (even if by PM).

John

bmwmadman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Simply put - unethical. Not only do you not owe him a dime for the PPI, but he should be giving you some money for bringing him the deal. You might as well throw in the shipping costs etc...

acat2002

Reaction score
Current!
Yes, at least he didn't have the audacity to charge me for the PPI. Also, the Seller transported the rig to the sho on his own dime (which I intended on reimbursing him for - but not so much anymore!).

My time is another matter completely. I had way too many hours sorting this rig's history out before I even got to the physical attributes. Funny thing - we could spend the same amount of time doing due diligence on a $10,000 car as a $100,000 example. The older it is and the mroe work has been done to it, the longer it takes to peel back the onion, right?

New cars on the contrary, I could care less about. It took me only a few hours to buy my daily driver (never having seen it) after narrowing down the exact model, color and locating it.

PS-@bmwmadman - I referenced the story of your former '72 E9 from Atlanta after I broke the news to the Seller about the fact that he had been sold an illegal import with swapped VINs. I don't think it made him feel better about his loss. You cannot be too careful when buying cars out of state and abroad - there are so many wolves out there. BTW-I hope you ended up somewhat square after the latest round of nonsense.