Practical to recover an original shifter knob?

HonaloochieBoogie

Reaction score
My coupe has an attractive, hand turned wood shifter. It’s fine but I’m wondering if it’s cost effective to recover the OG knob in leather? The original is split and the leather is worse than “patina.” Replacement shifters at $125 seems not the way to go. Thoughts?

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My coupe has an attractive, hand turned wood shifter. It’s fine but I’m wondering if it’s cost effective to recover the OG knob in leather? The original is split and the leather is worse than “patina.” Replacement shifters at $125 seems not the way to go. Thoughts?

Mine was in terrible condition, but IMHO, I'd stick with wood. My wife comments on how good it looks now every time she's in the car. I pulled out three grits of sandpaper and sat around lightly sanding until I got it smooth. Bought some stain & poly from HD and applied, light sanded, applied x3 or 4. These are the results. The multiple coats filled the remaining cracks pretty well. It was what I did while watching 3 or 4 NBA games over a week. Don't use pressure with the sandpaper, esp. the rough grit, or you'll lose the shape. Let the stain dry really well before sanding and reapplying. And I pretty much hate woodwork.

1595603395397.jpeg
1595603507785.png

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Nice job Jay. I just re-finished a 356 P-logo walnut knob that I mistakenly bought for my now gone 914, and it glows. It makes me happy. Wood is good.

Attachments

• P 356 shift knob.JPG
    P 356 shift knob.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 98

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Nice job Jay. I just re-finished a 356 P-logo walnut knob that I mistakenly bought for my now gone 914, and it glows. It makes me happy. Wood is good.

That looks awesome. Mine ended up darker than what I expected, but I was afraid to sand & re-coat because I was getting too thin in a few places.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Finishing is always the most difficult..Occasionally, I think that I know what I am doing, until I am around one of the old-timers who actually do. Still learning...

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well what a great argument for an automatic!

When I do woodwork, I stick with oil based. Maybe old school but the water based stains and poly just dont last. I wait at least 24 hrs after applying oil stain before the poly. If you want old world patina, add beeswax on top of the poly. Most of my house is filled with 150 plus y.o furniture. I always say to my sons, "this stuff lasted 149.9 years in someone else's home but doesn't last a month here". Thus, the indestructable poly with the beeswax. Looks old school, stands up to my beast offspring.