Problem: car veers sharply right when braking hard

johanaxelson

Reaction score
OK, bushings for sway bar and trailing link replaced.

Not that tricky to do, the metal covers (W&N) for the sway bar bushings needed to be shortened by 2-3mm to fit. A tip is to have a longer screw than the original ready when you replace it as the new rubber makes it tricky to get the cover in place for the original shorter one to fit. Will save you some swearing.

As for the trailing link bushings it was easy to remove, just insert a screwdriver in the hole and twist them out.
To put them back in (unless you have the special tool) take a long screw (15-20cm), put it through the hole in the bushing and attach for example the concave washer from the rear fastening point of the trailing link with a bolt on the rear on the bushing.
Then attach a washer and a bolt to the front side of the long screw and start tightening.
This will pull the bushing into the opening.
Make sure to keep it straight by keeping the rear end of the long screw centered (make sure to have some 5-10 cm to work with there to get leverage). Slowly tighten and it will pop in.
Of course remember to lubricate first.

Things are a better but it can still veer off occasionally. Sometimes left and sometimes right now. Not just left but since I have replaced so many parts the problem will of course change as well.

I wouldn't think the sway bar it self needs changing or is too weak? I have the 23mm one I think

Went to the inspection and luckily it behaved during his three test brakes so now it is inspected and ready for another two years.

So things are OK but not good. Not sure what to do next to be honest. But at least I have two more years to do it in :)

Thanks again for all the tips.