problem with headliner trim installation

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looking for advice,
I bought some headliner material from a member, that he claims is original BMW, which I believe to be true as it is the only material I have seen that has the original pattern
It is installed in the car now

The problem is that it is quite a bit thicker tan what was in before and the trim around the edge won't fit on
So looking for advice, has anyone had this problem and solved it? is there a way to precisely expand the gap in the trim?

Thanks

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Mark,
The headliner material is thicker and when you wrap it around the edges it will be too thick to fit the trim on there- actually it can be done but it is really too tight. The best way I found was to glue the material around the edges and clamp it down, when it's dry carefully use a blade to trim the material so it's only covering one surface (making it half as thick). You then should be able to get the molding on easily and it will hold the material as well. If you need some pictures let me know, my car interior is still in pieces.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
on the left is the original material, on the right from SMS
E9 headliner DSC_0632.JPG

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris, I think that is what you meant, the original material that we put in the car, the material that was in there had similar perforation pattern but did not have the orthogonal raised lines, it had what I would call a faint leather texture, the material in the car was thinner than this replacement, I know you have said the only pattern you have seen is as above, but it looked pretty original the way it was glued in, but no way of knowing

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
here is a photo of what was in the car, a previous
DSC_6979.JPG
owner painted it black (and the visors and visor panel)

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Peter, that is what we were thinking, but a little worried putting the trim on could push the liner off

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris, you agree it is original? yes I am sure of it, I wasn't going to use it as the piece was not large enough to cover the visor panel, but I found one of those

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
i sent that to u
and when i put it in mine i did glue it first then
like above trimmed the excess
if u use the wurth rubber adhesive it never comes apart
that stuff is amazing

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris, you agree it is original? yes I am sure of it, I wasn't going to use it as the piece was not large enough to cover the visor panel, but I found one of those
Yes, it’s original, the sun visor panel has same pattern but perforations are larger for some reason.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
the sun visor panel is a little different materiel, thicker and more rubbery
Yes Alan, that is the piece I bought from you