Problem with ignition

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
00B2DA78-0FD1-4F8E-BCB2-92BC3701B9D0.jpeg
Hello folks,

Lately I have been experiencing an odd problem whereas my 73 CSA does turn over and starts and as soon as I let go of the ignition key it dies immediately. I noticed when that happens none of the lights on instrument cluster comes on. Another words when I have the key turned all the way right before turning the key to power the starter the lights (alternator, battery and oil pressure light should come on) none of them are on. I know that is not normal! Couple of time I opened and shit the door hard and the lights on the instrument cluster came and car started fine.
I cleaned all grounds , starter wires, connections.

Is the picture below the Ignition relay? If so could it be the culprit.

I also added a new ground from edge of the bell housing to the frame rails ( no new holes were drilled, so I can take it off with no evidence it was ever there).

Any suggestion ?

Another thought is My battery may be going bad. As it drains much quicker when I leave the car unused for couple of weeks. But when charged the battery still cranks the car strong and when the car is running all lights are as bright as they can be expected, and everything works as they should without a slow down. I believe the Alternator is working good.

Any suggestions before I pull out the relay in question.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
That sounds an awful lot like an ignition switch issue. They aren’t terribly difficult to remove from the ignition but the plug on the other end is a bit burried. Perhaps you can borrow one from your work in progress to test.

There is a little set screw that holds it in place. Pics in my deconstruction thread...

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
That sounds an awful lot like an ignition switch issue. They aren’t terribly difficult to remove from the ignition but the plug on the other end is a bit burried. Perhaps you can borrow one from your work in progress to test.

There is a little set screw that holds it in place. Pics in my deconstruction thread...
Thanks Markos
I will try that !