Production of new windshield seals E3 small trim

Gery

Reaction score
Hi all !
I am Austrian and I own a early E3 with the small trim. Can`t find a seal for the front and rear glass.
Lost hours of research and had so much anger with people sending old scrap seals wasting my money.

As you know Wallnotnesch is offering a seal for the larger bottom trim of the later models.
€ 198.-

The reponse at Wallnotnesch was for the small trim :

"Sehr geehrter Herr Stummer,
für die Dichtung mit der schmalen Leiste gibt es zur Zeit keinen Liefertermin."

Means there is no delivery date available.

So I called the company and the answer was that they are not enough demandings.

But there is a very good German company well known in the oldtimer scene; Albtal Gummiwerke:

http://www.albtal-gummiwerke.com/produkte/oldtimer/

Older research was: The tool cost is about € 1100.- and minimum order is 60 seals / € 50.- each. The selling price will be then
about € 70.- without taking profit.
That`s ok, or not ?

So do you see a chance to sell at least 50 pieces in USA ? Why I ask here is that I`m not convinced to find
enough buyers just in Europe alone. I dont wanna end up sitting on the costs and 59 seals left in stock.

Here are the car registrations 2017 of the E3/E9 models in Germany:

BMW Zulassung.PNG

Years are not displayed, hard to know how many smaller trims and potential buyers are out there.

I only do a requiry for actual price and terms if there is sufficient demand here.
Also I would advance the money to get the thing off the ground.

And please excuse my english, I usually speak German.

Thank you for your response !
Gery

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
When I start working on my '69 2800 I had planned on not touching my front windshield. I'm scared. It seals and is "okay" but if I could get a new one for a reasonable price I'd buy it.

You could get a count from the forum and might be able to get a couple suppliers in the USA to buy more than one.

Soapbox: It's times like this that opens up the possibility of a supplier buying a bunch of seals and selling them for $300/ea because they're hard to get. The combined result of this type of thinking is what causes a higher number of E3's (and other cars) to not be repaired and end up being destroyed. If the part cost isn't reasonable to the value of the car it's for, the cars don't stay on the road.

Last edited:

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
I spent a year looking, asking and trying to get preorders for early seals. I gave up and bought a late seal and worked out the trim with a universal hotrod snap in trim.
If you built 60-100 early seals, they would sell. If you email [email protected] at BMWCCA, he may be able to put you in touch with some shops that work on vintage bmws who'd be interested in preorder.

I promise that if you had them made and ready for sale, you could sell all of them for $120-150 within a couple weeks.

also, there's a couple e3 facebook groups that would respond well to a for sale posting.

Bwana

Reaction score
Coupeking had a few early seals which he sold to members here, he might have one left.

Yes, I got one too. I think it was $200, came in sort of twisted and no P/N, hope it fits although Coupeking is generally very reliable. I'd be interested in buying a new one