Progress on 1973 3.0cs in Colorado Springs

AristonSpeedShop

Reaction score
Thought I would post a few pics of progress. This guy get put on the back burner sometimes, but never forgotten.

Body is just a final sand away from paint. I am in the process of working on painting the engine bay, trunk and jambs. The motor is close to being finished, need to install the new timing chain and wrap everything up. High Comp pistons, balanced, mild port on heads, new 285 cams, all good stuff. Finishing up the 5spd conversion as well.

20200425_154711.jpg

20200328_152148.jpg

20200407_164838 (1).jpg

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Now maybe time to ceramic coat heaters?
That mark between bores 4 and 5 is driving me nuts- can you wipe it off please?
lol
Looks nice!
Where did you find new cam gear?
With that decked block I would sure be looking at Al‘s slotted gear to keep cam/crank timing correct.
What head are you using?

AristonSpeedShop

Reaction score
0.001 to 0.0015 off just to clean up the deck is not cause for alarm, you will get more than that in chain stretch on the first 5000 miles on a new timing chain. But I might take a peak.

Do you continually adjust yours as the chain stretches?

The head was the stock one with a 3 angle valve job with mild porting.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I always roll the engine 3 x and insert a long threaded 6mm bolt into the 12:00 bolt hole on the cam gear.
How centered it is on the center flat spot on the head tells me how many thousanths have been cut off the head and off the block. Too much and the engine loves to rev and sucks at the stop light.
10* per tooth... if you are off 1/2 a tooth its big.
.016 limit on the head and .001 on the block gets dicey at the cam.

AristonSpeedShop

Reaction score
All we did was "clean them up" Like I said before. Why are you assuming I did something wrong, or are you just the E9 troll? WTF Over?

And why did you, would you, take 16 thousands off your head, your head is obviously warped at that point and is not usable. That is really bad.

I raised to compression with new pistons. Yea they are custom. We made an impression of the cylinder head dome with an old piston and sent them off to be scanned and custom made by RaceTec for the compression ratio we wanted. See the name on the piston? If you what to talk shit, you best know what you
are talking about because I highly doubt you have build or machined as many quality motors as Robbie, and you obviously have no idea who I am.

20190108_105814.jpg

20190108_105801.jpg

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
All we did was "clean them up" Like I said before. Why are you assuming I did something wrong, or are you just the E9 troll? WTF Over?

And why did you, would you, take 16 thousands off your head, your head is obviously warped at that point and is not usable. That is really bad.

I raised to compression with new pistons. Yea they are custom. We made an impression of the cylinder head dome with an old piston and sent them off to be scanned and custom made by RaceTec for the compression ratio we wanted. See the name on the piston? If you what to talk shit, you best know what you
are talking about because I highly doubt you have build or machined as many quality motors as Robbie, and you obviously have no idea who I am.

View attachment 92720

View attachment 92721
@sfdon is not talking shit, just passing along info. I didn't read it as being negative so try re-reading his comments without any ill intent. It's all good.

And before anyone else feels the need to jump in and defend Don, I don't think Don needs help defending his expertise in the field.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looks pretty great. I am clueless about engines, so some dumb questions. First thing I didn’t know was that custom-made pistons could be made from an impression like that. Is that a common thing or only done to get to a compression/size they didn’t really manufacture and/or because these are just better pistons? I might have missed it, but what compression are these? Keep posting updates.

AristonSpeedShop

Reaction score
My buddy who builds motors does it all the time as he is always doing custom work and trying different combos. We tried to get the pistons from Ireland, had $950 down on them for 10-12 weeks and nothing, so we went the custom route at a cost of $750 which included RackTec's design work. I would have to look at the paperwork but about as high compression as you conservatively want to go on pump gas.

Pretty easy, put the head on the block, shoot wd40 all over the cylinder and head, cover the top of the piston with big blob of bondo and push it in. With that impression, clocked correctly as well, and the specs off the stock piston, they 3D scan the impression in and model a new piston.

The RaceTec piston are also very close to perfect in weight so it make balancing the rotating assembly much nicer, which we did everything from the harmonic balancer to the clutch and pressure plate.

AristonSpeedShop

Reaction score
This will throw some more people for a loop for sure.

I am doing a 2bbl Holley Sniper self learning EFI system on the motor. It will be hidden under a "stock" looking air cleaner too. These systems are nice partly due to the self learning, ease of use, and tuneablity if you need it. Very self contained as well. The fun part is I sourced a BMW marine manifold 6 into 1, so I could make this happen.

The M30 motor by calculations requires 247cfm under stock configurations, and possibly as high as 291cfm at 100% volumetric efficiency, and the Holley 2bbl will provide 580cfm. The BMW manifold was for a spread-bore type, Quadrajet, carburetor, which probably worked good for a boat motor running at a constant rpm range all day long, but not so much for a car motor. The larger spread bores, secondaries, would have over loaded the center cylinders 3 and 4, and starved 1 and 6, so to get a more consistent distance from the venturies to each cylinder I machined a mounting plate. This will improve throttle response and driveability. Will also have to raise the EFI body up with a Phenolic spacer for linkage clearance, stop heat transfer and minimize vibration. Vibration kills EFI systems.

I got a second air cleaner from another BMW I am going to modify, keeping all the original E9 OEM parts un-molested for some reason? I have another buddy who does product development and CNC work that is manufacturing a line of K&N style air cleaners for racing applications, I might see if he can do one-off for this modified air cleaner.

Could even do an "in-tank" fuel pump if I want, done a couple of those conversions on other projects.

Fun stuff.

20200428_174535.jpg

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm easily impressed, but this is pretty cool. I've seen the top-mount EFI systems and always wondered if one could be made to work on an M30 & retain the air cleaner. Very interested to see how this comes out and what challenges you confront.

I usually coming through there in the summer for my girls' camp at Sanborn. I might stop by and take a peek if they're able to salvage anything of camp.

AristonSpeedShop

Reaction score
It will be relatively easy, O2 bung on a header and a second water temp sending unit. There is a plug on the block I can put that sender in. The rest is self contained in the throttle body, map sensor, air temp, and all the other goodies. The wiring is pretty simple too. Will also do the Petronix conversion in the distributor.

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Coming along well, curious to see what you'll be doing fuel delivery wise. I've been eyeing up the aeromotive phantom kit for some time now.

AristonSpeedShop

Reaction score
Here is a couple of my outlaw touches.

I always hated the way the aluminum belt line trim stopped at the trunk lid. Really??? Design wise this drives me insane. So I got a another rear fender trim from ebay, cut and rolled it to fit the curve of the trunk. Drilled hole for the T-bolts, yes they clear. The center emblem stayed where is was originally, but moved the "3.0 CS" emblem up a ways. Have to tig up the ends and sand to match the terminations on the rear fender trim ends. I have a really good polisher who is working on some of the other parts. He said he like working with this older BMW parts cause they used such good quality aluminum he can get a really nice finish on it. I just noticed I forgot to drill a hole for the last T-bolt, had to replace that corner of metal on the fender by the trunk lid, old damage and the body lines did not flush up.

I also did not like the bumpers, hated the big rubber trim and the over-riders look like a something off of fugly mid '70s land yacht. So I talked with the chrome guy and agreed on a plan. Welded up all the holes, then welded the bumpers together, tacked them on the car of course, then finished on the bench. The front bumper now has the fasteners hidden from view. Heading to chrome any day now.

Both of these mods make the car much more elegant and stylish.

20200325_152448.jpg

20200325_152456.jpg

20200408_112427.jpg

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice fab work. I'm in love with those bumpers! I've got a spare set needing re chroming and I was looking at doing something like this in my head for a while. Finished results after chroming will be something to look forward too

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Interesting "Chip Foose" approach. I will be very interested in watching the build.
What color will you finally select for the exterior? You probably already said but I must have missed it.
Keep it up!

AristonSpeedShop

Reaction score
WE are going with a color that is real close to the BMW "Malagra Red" but has some fine metallic in it. Some of the interior is being upholstered right now, a "Black and Tan" theme with baseball stitching on the seams. We are using a European style faux leather. Not sure on wheels just yet, want something that will go with the build.

Got a line on a local powder coater to do the headers. One of my buddy's has done a handful with a product they have and is very happy, I wish I could remember what is was.

MD4E9

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here is a couple of my outlaw touches.

I always hated the way the aluminum belt line trim stopped at the trunk lid. Really??? Design wise this drives me insane. So I got a another rear fender trim from ebay, cut and rolled it to fit the curve of the trunk. Drilled hole for the T-bolts, yes they clear. The center emblem stayed where is was originally, but moved the "3.0 CS" emblem up a ways. Have to tig up the ends and sand to match the terminations on the rear fender trim ends. I have a really good polisher who is working on some of the other parts. He said he like working with this older BMW parts cause they used such good quality aluminum he can get a really nice finish on it. I just noticed I forgot to drill a hole for the last T-bolt, had to replace that corner of metal on the fender by the trunk lid, old damage and the body lines did not flush up.

I also did not like the bumpers, hated the big rubber trim and the over-riders look like a something off of fugly mid '70s land yacht. So I talked with the chrome guy and agreed on a plan. Welded up all the holes, then welded the bumpers together, tacked them on the car of course, then finished on the bench. The front bumper now has the fasteners hidden from view. Heading to chrome any day now.

Both of these mods make the car much more elegant and stylish.

View attachment 93159

View attachment 93165

View attachment 93161

is that a custom made front bumper? Are you leaving it all chrome or putting rubber?