Prop Shaft Bearing Broken

Rek

Reaction score
Has anyone had this happen and might there be a reason as this one only had about 2,000 miles on it - made by Febi Bilstein. One of the metal legs broke off the bearing holder.

It started off as a shudder then a full knocking when pulling away once the leg parted company.

Is it easy to fit a replacement?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Was it installed backwards?
Installed on a rebuilt driveshaft?

Rek

Reaction score
Was it installed backwards?
Installed on a rebuilt driveshaft?

No idea - not at all noisy before this. The only thing was that the rubber got soft from the exhaust heat so it might have been play that put pressure on it. Ho Hum - they are hard to find here is the UK just now.

They seem to cost about £20 unless you get them from BMW where they cost £230!

I am looking for part number below but it seems like others might fit too. Any ideas on this?

Last edited:

Rek

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 11.31.09.png
Thanks Don - I had one located here for delivery but they eventually told me they haven't got it. I booked garage space to fit it for next Tuesday so need one by then. Even the German ones take two weeks for some reason. W&N get me things the next day. Crazy.

I see that the same part is used on other cars but the part numbers don't match.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Rein is what my driveline shop installs.
Bmw sells “Made in Taiwan” stuff now.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Be sure you mark the two halves of the driveshaft when you pull it apart so that you get the same alignment when you put it back together.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Guibos go back on.
Use a prying tool to compress it one hole at a time.
Don’t baby it.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
don't remember … but do our E9 guibos have a orientation ? ( bolts gearbox flange versus bolts driveshaft )
some models do and easy to install wrong.... to give problems like the shaft bearing….. ??

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If it’s a doughnut style it just bolts up.
Doughnut-type:

The doughnut-type flex disc will typically have a thin metal band around the circumference of the disc. The disc is installed (no reference points as with the flat-type) and the band is cut and removed after all of the bolts are installed and the nuts are tightened.

If it’s a flat style:

The flat-type flex disc must be oriented so that the molded-in arrows on the outer circumference of the disc are pointing toward the transmission flange “fingers” and the drive-shaft flange “fingers”. If installed in any other orientation, the flex-disc will quickly self-destruct.

lloyd

Reaction score
If it’s a doughnut style it just bolts up.
Doughnut-type:

The doughnut-type flex disc will typically have a thin metal band around the circumference of the disc. The disc is installed (no reference points as with the flat-type) and the band is cut and removed after all of the bolts are installed and the nuts are tightened.

If it’s a flat style:

The flat-type flex disc must be oriented so that the molded-in arrows on the outer circumference of the disc are pointing toward the transmission flange “fingers” and the drive-shaft flange “fingers”. If installed in any other orientation, the flex-disc will quickly self-destruct.

Krispy Kreme
11541001_z.jpg

"Flat style" commonly employed with automatic transmissions.

Install joint disc in such a way that the arrow-heads pointto the flange arms of the propeller shaft and the output flange. If this is not done, noise and premature joint disc wear
may be caused

Important:
When tightening connection, turn nuts only. If the bolts themselves are turned, the bushes may be overstressed in the joint disc.
11541002_z.jpg