Proper E3 Grille?

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What is proper for a 1973 E3 as far as front nose (kidney). All aluminum or the black vertical bars? I see both in "1973" E3 pictures. Mine was an earlier build I think, just going off of spare tire being a 4/73. I will verify once I send that email for more information on the car but did BMW change to the black verticle bars half way through the year or something? Porsche did weird stuff like that.

jmackro

Reaction score
What is proper for a 1973 E3 as far as front nose (kidney). All aluminum or the black vertical bars?

All aluminum. But I think that looks kind of silly between the black slats on the side grilles. So I have painted the slats black on the center kidney grille of my '70 e9. No it isn't correct, but neither are my deleted side markers and a few other things.

This is an easily-reversed modification.

Last edited:

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Darn it, I agree that is why I was hoping they switched over sometime over the course of the year to the black slats. OK, well, that answers my question, I am going to keep as original as possible on this build with a few exceptions as you will see later. Thanks!

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris I will, trust me I get anxious too for pics of rare BMW's. I won't be able to go to the shop until Sunday, I will start my build thread and show everyone the progress then. Basically have just been pulling doors off, trim, rubber, windows, etc. so not really a pretty site right now anyhow but should have some good progress by then and I will try and update once a week or so, depending on how fast it goes. Not doing a full nut and bold but keeping as much original as possible and just basically get it to a reliable runner as much as possible with a few tweaks. It will show all the places I am going to be able to keep the original paint, door sills, trunk, under hood, engine bay and the rest of the body work and primer should be good to go by then. So, please be patient, all in due time. I had never seen one in person myself until I bought this car and I have been to a lot of BMW events and car events in general so you could imagine how happy I was to find a real one, and a 4-spd. to boot.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
LOL, yes any undertaking of an E3 or E9 is a bold move, I'm sure you all read yesterdays Bloomberg article, I liked the quote about the shape of an E9 being the perfect vessel to trap moisture, something along those lines...E3's not as bad. I am actually trying to get over to shop today to take a few pics for all of you interested. It's not my shop and they are not picking up today, going to try again in a minute. I wiped down the trunk the other day and pulled the spare out etc, pulled the material up towards the back of the trunk and it's really amazing how well kept the original paint in there is. I don't think we are going to touch it unless it has a nick that allowed for some surface rust. We are going to pull the gas tank next week to see what other side looks like but tank looks good even the plating on top where the fuel gauge connects come in looks practically brand new. But I want to see how the edges look and maybe spray some rust inhibitor then repaint black, I think I'm going to have inside of tank addressed while we are at it. Again, stay tuned...I will start the separate build thread once I post a picture... I know we are getting off original topic and I don't want this to be about my build so this will be last reply here regarding my car...sorry to person who started this.