Proper way of tightening upper timing cover?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I haven't looked in the service manual to see if it references this but what's the proper way to tighten the upper timing cover on an M30? There are very few applications that have bolts that tighten gaskets at a right angle to each other and was wondering how you guys go about it. Do you tighten the bolts into the head first or the lower timing cover? Does it matter?

upper timing cover.jpg

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The key is fill the corners with black sealant, tighten very lightly on the 6 bolts going back to the head so the 2 down facing bolts go in easily. If the timing cover isnt flush the 2 down bolts will crossthread and wreck the gasket.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
FWIW the Manual says:

Note when fitting: Tighten bolts 1 and 2 slightly.

Then bolts 3 trough 8 one after the other and finally 1 and 2.

(1 & 2 are the downward facing bolts)

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Okay, I've been dealing with this oil leak off and on as I get time for the E3 and I think I figured out what was happening. I tried several times to get the leak stopped and it looked like it was leaking at the bottom left corner of the cover just above the chain tensioner. The sealer looked good and should've sealed but I wasn't putting sealer underneath the bottom gasket, the one that's part of the head gasket. It's really stiff so I didn't want to bend it too much, but the last time I decided to lift it up a bit and press some sealer underneath. I hasn't leaked while just sitting there like it did before but I guess I won't know for sure until I get it running again. I don't remember having so much trouble in the past.

m_thompson

Reaction score
Mine has roll pins that help with the alignment between the cover and the head. The original owner had the head shaved, but didn't get the front cover shaved at the same time. When they reassembled the front cover they bent the roll pins. Because of the misalignment it broke one of the distributor drive tabs on the front of the camshaft and leaked oil. I had some fun fixing all of that.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Mine has roll pins that help with the alignment between the cover and the head. The original owner had the head shaved, but didn't get the front cover shaved at the same time. When they reassembled the front cover they bent the roll pins. Because of the misalignment it broke one of the distributor drive tabs on the front of the camshaft and leaked oil. I had some fun fixing all of that.

Okay, thanks for making me feel better. :)