Propshaft Bearing

E3_UK

Reaction score
Is this movement excessive ?. Moving away from stationary if i don't get the engine speed just right it sounds like the propshaft is bouncing up and down so i wondered if the support bearing could be worn.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You would usually see a tear or rip in rubber, have you checked the guibo? Guibo makes noise when accelerating.

E3_UK

Reaction score
I don't see any tears, guibo is fine. There are no other signs of any faults, only just as drive is taken up, unless i raise engine speed and slip the clutch. Could be gearbox mounting i suppose but looks ok.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
That looks fine to me. First thing I think of is trans mount under load, but the last time I had that problem it was the center bearing.

E3_UK

Reaction score
That looks fine to me. First thing I think of is trans mount under load, but the last time I had that problem it was the center bearing.
Was your bearing torn ?. I have a new one but it's impossible to tell if it's any stiffer without fitting it.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, it was torn and no doubt the problem. I bought a 2002 once that had a center bearing with virtually no rubber left. It knocked when I took off and above 40mph so I took off really slowly and drove under 40mph and made it 25 miles home. LOL

Are there any witness marks anywhere that might give a clue about where it's hitting or are you pretty sure it's the center bearing hitting but not sure what causing it?

E3_UK

Reaction score
Yes, it was torn and no doubt the problem. I bought a 2002 once that had a center bearing with virtually no rubber left. It knocked when I took off and above 40mph so I took off really slowly and drove under 40mph and made it 25 miles home. LOL

Are there any witness marks anywhere that might give a clue about where it's hitting?
I don't think so. Next plan is to secure my borescope camera underneath the car and move back and forward hopefully capturing images of what is actually knocking. Worth a try anyway.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't think so. Next plan is to secure my borescope camera underneath the car and move back and forward hopefully capturing images of what is actually knocking. Worth a try anyway.
I was going to suggest something like this but didn't think you'd have anything to do it with. Awesome.