Protective Headlamp Film ???

BP1

Site Donor
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had a headlamp covered with a "protective film" chip, crack or break? Am considering using a 20 mil thick product.

Thanks...BOB

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had a headlamp covered with a "protective film" chip, crack or break? Am considering using a 20 mil thick product.

Thanks...BOB
I have it on multiple cars. Not sure of the thickness but if it keeps from getting a rock chip or sandblasted then ok.

Dohn

Reaction score
I applied XPel film on my Hella fogs, and it has worked fine. Not worried about the headlamps until I get some good ones.

dbower

Reaction score
I've applied Xpel to several newer vehicles that had the acrylic headlight covers, to stave off the yellowing/fogging that seems to always happen. I've not tried it on our headlights. Mine are flat-face Cibies so it would work well, but it might be tricky to get a smooth application on typical convex lenses.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have Perspex film on Athena & on my Euro M5 lights. With all the thousands of miles I've driven, have only had an errant rock crack an unprotected fog lamp in 2016.

Peeking Under Cover.JPG
Lens covers Clean Grills2:3:18.jpg

Dohn

Reaction score
The Xpel works on the curved face of the Hellas. There's enough flex to allow it to adhere over the entire surface.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Stan, can you post specs on what you used, thickness etc? I searched quick and too many options come up. After the time I spent on my lights, I want this stuff.

Steven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
On this topic, I’ve been curious to know what parts of the coupes people have been applying Xpel (or other PPF) to. I’ve heard so many conflicting opinions on body panels since these often rust from the inside out, but interested to know what people have done and what their experiences have been.

BP1

Site Donor
Reaction score
From Daniel Stern:

The films are OK if treated as a regular-maintenance item (every year or
> two or three, depending on usage conditions). They don't start out as
> optically clear as claimed, and they degrade from there. They can offer
> some protection, though not as much as the marketing would have you believe.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Transparency can be quantified. I am not sure you can state that the product will degrade and in a way, imply a decrease in transparency without knowing the composition of the product and the conditions it is exposed to. What I am getting at is that without any form of data, Sterns statement is meaningless. I do agree that without data form either side, the protection is based on anecdotal experience. Sorry I am on my "Bill Nye the science guy" soapbox.

Reactions: BP1

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
On this topic, I’ve been curious to know what parts of the coupes people have been applying Xpel (or other PPF) to. I’ve heard so many conflicting opinions on body panels since these often rust from the inside out, but interested to know what people have done and what their experiences have been.

Xpel on the air dam has already paid for itself after one season. Two years since the last repair & repaint which used to be an annual expense of $700-1200.

IMG_5599.jpg