Quality of steering and suspension parts

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looking through Real OEM I see that many steering components are no longer available through BMW. Is the quality of steering links and rubber bushings from Wallothnesch their equivalent? Are there sources that stock NOS BMW steering and suspension components or is it just fishing on Ebay at this point?

Last edited:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
My logic has been that although Lemforder and Myele etc are not what they were, for older BMW's the chance is high that they were sitting on a shelf in plastic and are original so made in Germany. Also many W&N parts actually show up with original BMW labels on them.

For me the dilemma comes with newer cars cause the dealer parts are outrageous but trying Lemforder, FAG, Myele etc, many are now made in places I don't trust having decent quality control. Sadly, many new BMW's have crap parts to start with.........like X3 rear springs that crack, tie rods that fuse up at the sight of rain.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
My logic has been that although Lemforder and Myele etc are not what they were, for older BMW's the chance is high that they were sitting on a shelf in plastic and are original so made in Germany. Also many W&N parts actually show up with original BMW labels on them.

For me the dilemma comes with newer cars cause the dealer parts are outrageous but trying Lemforder, FAG, Myele etc, many are now made in places I don't trust having decent quality control. Sadly, many new BMW's have crap parts to start with.........like X3 rear springs that crack, tie rods that fuse up at the sight of rain.
Yes, when I had an E36 M3 and a Corrado, I trusted Lemforder for suspension components as good quality. I have yet to purchase anything from Wallothnesch, I am hoping their components are good quality, as I might put an order for steering linkages in tomorrow.

Last edited:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, an N=1 but I bought their control arms for my E9 four years ago and no issues.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score

Mario Langston at VSR got into this with BMW when he discovered stress cracks in structural components of his e46 M3, which matched problems he saw in customer cars. A huge part of the problem in newer cars is the computer aided design program that BMW uses is designed for German roads. The US Department of Transportation reports that about 20% of our roads are unacceptable, but they use a liberal standard to determine what is acceptable. If you count roads in fair and marginal condition to be unacceptable (in addition to roads in poor condition), less than half of the roads in the US would be considered acceptable. Given our road conditions, we need to think of lower control arms and whatnot as maintenance items.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have 4 years and about 17K miles on the steering components bought from W&N. Expressway speed usually 85 mph, Backcountry and mountain roads at usual safe speeds with plenty of bumps and potholes. The Coupe will travel about 500 miles with the BMW CCCA Florida Tour on back no-maintenance roads for 2 days, and a turnpike for 2 days. Let's hope we have a safe trip!
I think new parts from W&N are better than OEM 50-year-old parts from EBay.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
My BMW wagon was purchased used in Quebec. Suspension totally toasted at 70,000 miles. That is the pot hole capital of North America

Eko75

Reaction score
I changed all steering links with the ones from WALLOTHNESCH.COM, along with a few other parts.

So far quality seems good, not a large mileage with it but at least it looks reliable.

And customer service was helpful and delivery delay reasonable.

Especially if I compare with the parts you find when you work on an MG, where you learn that apparently steel can be built with pressed cardboard :)

Hope that helps.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ordered my new steering gear. Shipping price was reasonable. Steering links are 30% off till the end of the month BTW. Thanks for the responses. Car is going manual steering, with the Power system to be spruced up, boxed up and waiting to go back in if I find it tedious.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ordered my new steering gear. Shipping price was reasonable. Steering links are 30% off till the end of the month BTW. Thanks for the responses. Car is going manual steering, with the Power system to be spruced up, boxed up and waiting to go back in if I find it tedious.
Do report back on your change.