Quartz Clock Question

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott,

Since it 'ran when parked' (catchy phrase isn't it). I'll come back to the theory that the wire supplying feed is not providing current all the time (loose connection at the clock or some place else, insulation gone someplace and making intermittent contact with ground, etc.) When driving, the movement of the car causes this disruption in some way (bumps, potholes, etc.).

Gary-

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott,

Since it 'ran when parked' (catchy phrase isn't it). I'll come back to the theory that the wire supplying feed is not providing current all the time (loose connection at the clock or some place else, insulation gone someplace and making intermittent contact with ground, etc.) When driving, the movement of the car causes this disruption in some way (bumps, potholes, etc.).

Gary-
i agree

Honolulu

Reaction score
But look at the wiring diagram... does the +12V supply to the clock also power anything else, and does that other device(s) also show intermittent operation? My money's on the clock gizzards having an intermittent catch point.

But I overthink things sometimes. It's an occupational hazard of being an engineer.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
MYSTERY SOLVED, I THINK...
So, I tested my car battery, which is new btw, and discovered it was at about 60% full. I typically drive only short trips, so not sure if the alternator is given a chance to recharge properly on most occassions. So, I charged the battery to 100% and magically the clock now keeps good time. It's only bee a couple of days, and it has kept good time intermittently so not sure if it will hold, but I am very optimistic.
Oddly, the car seems to run better too. Is that even possible?
I will let you know.
Is it surprising to you that a 60% battery doesn't offer sufficient charge to keep the clock working properly.
Does this mean there may be something funky going on with the electronics generally? I replaced the alternator and Bennyz has some issues getting the electronics working properly. I had work done in SF and Boise shops that sorted all this out.
Oddly, I noticed similar issues with my 90 Porsche 911 and 2006 Cayenne with power. If battery is not charged properly, weird things happen.
Cross posting this on my Restoration thread too.

Honolulu

Reaction score
I think you've found the culprit.

I've seen it too, when a new battery seems to make a car run better, though I don't know for certain just why it does.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
2 days later, and time is correct; one problem solved, but now a larger problem remains; what is causing the battery to drain?

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
disconnect your negative battery.

Get a handheld volt/ampmeter. Put it on amps (may need to switch your plugs) and put one of the wires on the disconnected neg cable, the other on the battery post.

Anything over 40mA I think is a drain. Old cars, probably more like 20mA as should not have anything like an alarm running other than clock and radio presets (if you have such a radio).

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I give up. After multiple days of keeping the correct time and confirmation that the battery is still at 100%, when I got in the car this morning at 7:30 AM the clock was making noises and stuck at 2:46 AM. There is something clearly wrong.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
to be clear, I have power issues for sure, but that is not what is happening I think with the clock.

I suggest that you remove the clock. Bench test it with @SFDon’s video trick. If you don’t think it is a power issue, you will need to send it in. If you bench test it first, you can confirm the power issue. The forum isn’t going to be able to fix the clock for you. It is one of those things that few people DIY. Any electronic repair shop can bench test it.

My spare buzzed but is seemingly dead:
B4130313-5A02-4260-B78A-32152E80D879.jpeg

Last edited:

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I suggest that you remove the clock. Bench test it with @SFDon’s video trick. If you don’t think it is a power issue, you will need to send it in. If you bench test it first, you can confirm the power issue. The forum isn’t going to be able to fix the clock for you. It is one of those things that few people DIY. Any electronic repair shop can bench test it.
agree and thanks

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Scott,
These clocks often give way after so many years. Send it to a clock repair shop, there’s no way around that. Has nothing to do with the battery charge.
Here’s one that specializes in classic car clock repair! Must be plenty others closer to you.

Last edited:

Honolulu

Reaction score
My approach with stuff that doesn't work is: I have nothing to lose by carefully taking it apart. Sometimes, according to my wife, things regain function just by hearing that I'm about to "go in". I haven't suggested that the real problem could be impatience on her part, unreasonable expectations and sometimes refusal to RTFM in the first place. But I'll take apart what needs it, when I get the time.

I've had my coupe 20-plus years with a stuck electric clock. Finally got into it and simply fixed the fusible link therein. It works now.

As we say in some parts of Hawaii: "Geev um" or some say "No be panty".