Quest for originality; Cable wiring harness tape & PVC connectors?

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've purchased some tape to refresh the wiring harness. However seeing it side by side I see difference.
The original is a genuine textile with a warp and weft , the new roll of tape is just fuzzy fibrous.

Does anyone have a source for a textile tape that is matching (better?)
Preferably in the EU....

Attachments

• 20210927_195118.jpg
    20210927_195118.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 176
This place is such a great source of info.
I browsed Tesla’s site and noticed they make a different harness tape for engine bays (150C rather than 100C heat rating).
I’d be surprised if the interior of any E9 got over 85C (typical OEM heat validation spec), but engine bay specs are usually at least 125C.

The timing of this post was serendipitous as I’m just starting to re-wrap the engine bay harness in my Alfa GTV and didn’t want to use 3M electrical tape.

J

Tesa is nice but a pita to work with. Tesa does have the nice special interior tape.

XFasten Wire Harness Tape, 3/4-Inch by 50-Foot (3-Pack), High Temp Wiring Loom Harness Self-Adhesive Felt Cloth Electrical Tape for Automotive Engine and Electrical​

• High temp Wire Harness Automotive Cloth Tape with excellent sound and rattle dampening performance. Lessens coil whining and lasts well against elevated temperatures (-40℉ - 257℉).
  • Sports a race-spec heavy-duty bundling performance but cleanly tears with just bare hands, EMPOWERING average car owners with LITTLE TO NO EXPERIENCE in automotive maintenance to achieve PROFESSIONAL-GRADE results in function and form.
  • This Wire Loom Tape features an extremely strong adhesive but does not turn into a messy goo. Rated to last up to 6 years and can easily get you through 150k miles of mileage.
  • Its bi-directional weave makes it puncture-resistant and abrasion and corrosion-resistant. This automotive felt tape preserves cables in their pristine condition.
  • This engine tape wrap is similar, if not better, in thickness, tensile strength and looks with OEM wire harness tapes. Extra-sticky adhesive enables users to bundle hard-to-reach cables quickly.

I've purchased some tape to refresh the wiring harness. However seeing it side by side I see difference.
The original is a genuine textile with a warp and weft , the new roll of tape is just fuzzy fibrous.

Does anyone have a source for a textile tape that is matching (better?)
Preferably in the EU....

wurth sells something closer to original

I think the Tesa fuzz increases the surface area to adhere to itself. The fuzz also seems to pack down on the outside from application. All told, I like the stuff....besides, I got 10 rolls I bought years ago for 15 dollars. Guess the question is what would a concourse judge accept.

I think the Tesa fuzz increases the surface area to adhere to itself. The fuzz also seems to pack down on the outside from application. All told, I like the stuff....besides, I got 10 rolls I bought years ago for 15 dollars. Guess the question is what would a concourse judge accept.
Bob, I should buy a roll of it from you. Is yours the regular or high temp variant?

concours:
(HBC, Stan, etal) is BMWCCA now judging on authenticity Rather than just cleanliness and condition?

(1) Colorplast has the correct low fuzz slightly shiny appearance. The Tesla high temp tape also looks correct to me (the low temp tape is fuzzy)
(2) 150C rating so usable in the engine bay
(3) Both are old German companies
(4) Colorplast is 2.252 times more expensive than Tesa (no wonder Bob likes the Tesa)
(5) both likely have finite shelf life unless (stored in a sealed package?)

Last edited:
"Colorplast is 2.252 times more expensive than Tesa (no wonder Bob likes the Tesa)"

Does this forum have an HR department and a safe space?

John, projection is the most rudimentary form of defense.......and thanks for carrying that out to three decimal points.

and I won't mention anything about your non BMW related avatar!

NB: John and I have been sparring almost since the day we met, actually friends (I think).

"Colorplast is 2.252 times more expensive than Tesa (no wonder Bob likes the Tesa)"

Does this forum have an HR department and a safe space?

John, projection is the most rudimentary form of defense.......and thanks for carrying that out to three decimal points.

and I won't mention anything about your non BMW related avatar!

NB: John and I have been sparring almost since the day we met, actually friends (I think).
Like Bob, I am cheap nearly to a fault on everything except stuff for my race car. I like fixing stuff not just for the mechanical challenge but for saving $.

How is that for a back handed compliment.

(Hope you had a good time at the Vintage)

Back