Question about 3.0 CS original wheels - alloy vs. coated

Aspen2007

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Can someone tell me if the original wheels on the 74' CS are true alloys or are they coated/painted with a grey metal paint? I currently have an old scuffed up set of four. My mechanic told me that they could be painted, but I cannot imagine that this is how the originals would look if they were in good condition today. Any/all feedback would be appreciated.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, all the factory alloys came painted. Those that refurbish the old alloys typically have them powder coated now.

Dan

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Original alloys were all painted

Beg to differ--if you are seeking originality--the correct refinish is to chemically strip and refinish--Wurth silver paint topped off with 2 or 3 light coats of Wurth clear and they will closly duplicate the way they came from the factory--the added clear will make them easier to keep clean--I clean all my wheels with a product called Orange All after wetting the wheel and with a long bristled soft wheel brush and then rinse with clear water--they will remain as new in appearance for years.

Depending on your climate conditions--you might consider spraying the back side of the wheel with a protective coating such as POR-15 clear--be sure you do this before re-painting the face of the wheel