Question about towing a coupe

GTSilver944

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a U-haul dolley to tow their coupe? I'm pretty sure it would work, but the U-haul site won't tell me if an E9 will fit. The car would only be towed a couple hundred miles.

Thanks,
Max

MichaelP

Reaction score
Go for the trailer. When I towed my coupe 350 miles last summer, it was only 50 bucks more than the dolly, and the trailer has brakes -- a must in my book for those tail-puckering moments on highways and off-ramps.

GTSilver944

Reaction score
The car has something wrong with the clutch. Would it be possible to push it onto the trailer (with 3-4 people)? I would really like to use the full trailer, but I am considering the two wheel dolly just because I know I can put a non-running car on it.

Thanks for the help!

Philip Slate

Reaction score
Aren't you in SoCal? (or has my demential just reared it's ugly head again)
If so, I have a trailer with winch that can be at your disposal.

shanon

Reaction score
If you get a 'Come-along" (hand rachet wench $20-30), I'd wager you'd be able to wench 'das boat' onto the trailer, especially if some buddies were around too. The car up on the trailor will also give you better ground clearance at the rear in addition to being out of harms way.

I had to get a come-along when I needed to put a non-running car onto the dollie. I have heard dolly-tows are not good for extended tows (100 miles+?) as they wear on the diffs and other drive train parts. The dead car I hauled away was front wheel drive so I didn't care about the rear diff-wear issue.

If the dollie is your only option, I've heard that it advisable to disconnect/remove the rear half shafts to eliminate wear on the diff.

hth
-shanon

GTSilver944

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's help. It looks like harbor freight has a suitable "come along." I'll have the car home in about a week (decided on the full trailer) and will post pics.

GTSilver944

Reaction score
One last question - where on the coupe would be a good spot to attach the wench hook? Is there an actual spot to attach a tow hook on these cars?

MichaelP

Reaction score
At the leading ends of the front subframe are 2 towhooks, one on each side. I've never actually had to use them, but they seem sort of sturdy. Alternately, you might wrap a strap around the whole front subframe to distribute the load.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
MichaelP said:
At the leading ends of the front subframe are 2 towhooks, one on each side. I've never actually had to use them, but they seem sort of sturdy. Alternately, you might wrap a strap around the whole front subframe to distribute the load.
Be real careful using the tow hooks. They are often damaged because they are down low.

I would use the front subframe. Wrap the cable around it if you can't find a place for the hook.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
+1 on the come-along. Get some good chain, and run it through both tow hooks, if they are present. The ones on my coupe were in pretty rough shape, so I could only use one. Still worked fine though.

A word of caution about the come-along, though. You will need to plan out how to let the car down.

Let me put it this way: the first time we got the car to move, my Dad and I cheered not because we made the car move, but becuse it meant we wouldn't have to push the dang thing anymore! :lol: