Questions about a slightly newer car...

x_atlas0

Reaction score
I noticed that a few of you have what I would like to be my next DD: the Z3 M Coupe. I'd like to hear your impressions, since you guys are a bit more "seasoned" when it comes to driving impressions than the typical forum-goer, based on that "cars owned in the past" thread.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I never owned one but a friend did. One morning he hit a traffic and it discharged the airbag. Between the airbag and ripping off the spoiner it caused about $3500 in total damage. His face was sore for a week. :shock:

Sorry -not what you wanted but I couldn't resist. I laugh every time I think about it because my friend was so POed over such a stupid thing.

chicane

Reaction score
I noticed that a few of you have what I would like to be my next DD: the Z3 M Coupe. I'd like to hear your impressions, since you guys are a bit more "seasoned" when it comes to driving impressions than the typical forum-goer, based on that "cars owned in the past" thread.

Honestly, one of the ugliest cars BMW has ever made. It looks like a clown's shoe. If you get a later one with the S54 engine make sure they have done the rod bearing recall (actually the S54 is the only one worth owning). For the money I could think of too many other BMW's that you could buy that would look and run better.

pj

Reaction score
X,
never owned one ,like them though.Rapid little cars go fairly well on the track and have a semi cult following ,TJs wife has a M roadster so they could fill you in on the mechanicals . I never really thought I would own an e36 m3 but bang 4 buck now I think every bmw fan should own one. Bottom Line is go for it if you don't like it someone is out there waiting for one just as you were.

PJ
73 csi
87 325is
95 m3

mandala

Reaction score
I own one-2001 imola red exterior and and imola red interior s54 m coupe. In my and others opinion a great compliment to the e9. The way i describe it is the e9 is that supermodel or actress that EVERY guy thinks is beutiful. The m coupe is that woman in the bar thta you agree is not beautiful but that alot of guys just feel they have to be with. "sexy ugly" is how i describe it. People either love it or hate it but i get about as much attention when i drive it as when i drive my e9. It is not rustprone and drives like a bat out of hell. Road and track was able to get a stock 2001 to go 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. I love it but would reccomend getting the s54 (01 or 02) as it has about 100 more horses and as they are less than 700 in the us they will be collectable in my opinion. Email me if you have any questions.....
Jeff in pdx

x_atlas0

Reaction score
I own one-2001 imola red exterior and and imola red interior s54 m coupe. In my and others opinion a great compliment to the e9. The way i describe it is the e9 is that supermodel or actress that EVERY guy thinks is beutiful. The m coupe is that woman in the bar thta you agree is not beautiful but that alot of guys just feel they have to be with. "sexy ugly" is how i describe it. People either love it or hate it but i get about as much attention when i drive it as when i drive my e9. It is not rustprone and drives like a bat out of hell. Road and track was able to get a stock 2001 to go 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. I love it but would reccomend getting the s54 (01 or 02) as it has about 100 more horses and as they are less than 700 in the us they will be collectable in my opinion. Email me if you have any questions.....
Jeff in pdx

I like it because it is different. I like different. Heck, it's part of why I've been working on the E9 for so long.

As much as I'd like to get a S54, I kinda doubt I'd have the cash to get one, since they mostly seem to go (right now) for high 20s, low 30s. So unless you know someone that would want to do a straight swap (perhaps a little +cash) for my E9, I really doubt I'll be able to find one in my reach.

chicane

Reaction score
Jeff in pdx

I like it because it is different. I like different. Heck, it's part of why I've been working on the E9 for so long.

As much as I'd like to get a S54, I kinda doubt I'd have the cash to get one, since they mostly seem to go (right now) for high 20s, low 30s. So unless you know someone that would want to do a straight swap (perhaps a little +cash) for my E9, I really doubt I'll be able to find one in my reach.

Dude, seriously don't get a Z3 M, I can think of so many bimmers that are far cooler. One of which is the car you own right now. I would definitely keep the E9 over that car, any day of the week.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Dude, seriously don't get a Z3 M, I can think of so many bimmers that are far cooler. One of which is the car you own right now. I would definitely keep the E9 over that car, any day of the week.

While I certainly agree with you that the E9 is much more beautiful and is much cooler, it is also decidedly less reliable, and has higher operating costs. I need a car I can DD, not just a machine I can drive on nice days when the chance of any sort of rain is zero.

I like the Z3 Mcoupe because it is different, uncommon, and has a marginal degree of utility with the large boot. Given it also uses a majority of E30/E36 parts, the operating costs are lower. I would keep it stock until I get out of grad school, then there is a significant aftermarket. It would be plenty fast in stock form, however.

chicane

Reaction score

While I certainly agree with you that the E9 is much more beautiful and is much cooler, it is also decidedly less reliable, and has higher operating costs. I need a car I can DD, not just a machine I can drive on nice days when the chance of any sort of rain is zero.

I like the Z3 Mcoupe because it is different, uncommon, and has a marginal degree of utility with the large boot. Given it also uses a majority of E30/E36 parts, the operating costs are lower. I would keep it stock until I get out of grad school, then there is a significant aftermarket. It would be plenty fast in stock form, however.

Since you obviously want something with a little punch i would recommend a mint e36 M3 or even and early e46 M3. The 01 and 02's are now going for low to mid twenties with the new e92 M3 coming out soon.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
My friend owned one for two or three years with no problems at all. Very cool and he loved it. They've always been on my radar too. Doesn't matter what others think, if you like it you like it. I'd own an M Coupe before an M3 anyday.

Dan