Radiator Drain Plug with leads

ATL_Alan

Reaction score
I have a three row radiator that was installed in my 1974 E9 about 20 years ago. The radiator drain plug has two male leads and there are wires in the car that connect to it. One of the leads decided to break off today while I was opening it to drain coolant. I'm guessing this was stock since I have the connecting wires; maybe my mechanic put it on the newer radiator back in 2001. I looked around RealOEM.com but don't see anything comparable. Questions:

1. What do the two leads control?
2. Does someone have a part number for this?

Thanks!

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pic?
Look like this?

Attachments

• 65E80BBF-FE43-4A04-9AC3-F0C3913C0AFA.jpeg
    65E80BBF-FE43-4A04-9AC3-F0C3913C0AFA.jpeg
    224 KB · Views: 94

ATL_Alan

Reaction score
Sorry, should have sent some. Here's one from the side and one looking straight down on it. I tried to solder it back on but there's nothing to grab onto so it just melted some of the plastic.

Attachments

• IMG_1019.jpg
    IMG_1019.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1018.jpg
    IMG_1018.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 97

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It is the temp sensor that turns on the fan in front of radiator when A/C is off and car gets too hot. These were introduced in 74.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

BMW 320i Coupe E21 2.0L L4 Auxiliary Fan Switch - 82 deg. C

BMW 320i Coupe E21 2.0L L4 Auxiliary Fan Switch - 82 deg. C​

85.jpg

CHECK FITMENT

TEXT A PRODUCT LINK

$11.98
List price $66.91 , you save: $54.93

Quantity in Stock: 9 Ships on Monday
Quantity

jmackro

Reaction score
It is the temp sensor that turns on the fan in front of radiator when A/C is off and car gets too hot. These were introduced in 74.
It's also fairly easy to retrofit this feature to earlier cars, though you won't get a lot of additional cooling with the stock pusher fan. Be sure to add a diode to the connection between the A/C compressor and the fan relay, so that when the car gets too hot, this switch doesn't turn on the A/C as well as the fan.

ATL_Alan

Reaction score
Hello all, installed the temp sensor in the radiator but the auxiliary fan is not coming on. The fan is a new SPAL fan and works because it comes on when I turn on the air conditioner.

Other than the temp sensor in the radiator, what controls that fan and what are the steps to troubleshoot?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello all, installed the temp sensor in the radiator but the auxiliary fan is not coming on. The fan is a new SPAL fan and works because it comes on when I turn on the air conditioner.

Other than the temp sensor in the radiator, what controls that fan and what are the steps to troubleshoot?

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Jump the lead at the sensor to ground and see if the fan comes on while engine is on and ac off.