Radiator fan hitting AC/PS pulley

Looking a little more closely at your pictures it looks like a later damper so your hub bolt pattern would require modification to one bolt hole of the add-on single pulley (part # posted - which came with the asymmetrical pattern for positioning).

The AC groove on my pulley is larger than the PS groove. The AC belt is 13mm wide I assume. The PS belt is 10mm. If the single groove pulley is for a 13mm belt as well that may be a problem?

Dang it! Can this be contagious- now today my black 9 blade it hitting in the same place!
I have replaced the alternator last week but it's belt (to fan/clutch/water pump) is not overtight.
1st pic shows the single blade in contact with ac/ps pulley (look down below by the Semperit belt). 2nd and 3rd pick show adjacent blades not hitting. So WP bearing would be okay? 4th pic shows opposite side blade not hitting.
Seems single fan blade got torqued but not sure how or why.
Also seems the offset tolerance is too tight for old plastic.

Attachments

• 20241014_182947.jpg
    20241014_182947.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20241014_183111.jpg
    20241014_183111.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20241014_183146.jpg
    20241014_183146.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 22
Yes it’s the same.

I did a new test yesterday. I lay down under the car with the engine running and reached for the throttle linkage and reved the engine (wearing safety glasses off course) The interference is obvious. This time occurred regardless of gears but at the same rpm.
I searched on ebay.kleinanzeigen.de in and came across a used 8 blade fan for a reasonable price. So I bought this one and it will be my first attempt to fix the problem.

That 4th gear only with hood open had me scratching my head!
Could you tell if whole fan was wobbling like out of balance or all blades deforming backwards with rpm?

It was not easy to se with the fan rotating fast it was blurry. But I think the whole fan was deforming backwards as the rpms arise.
Ended up with even more chips of the fan tips.

came across a used 8 blade fan for a reasonable price. So I bought this one and it will be my first attempt to fix the problem.
That is a 400mm fan and you'd think it would not "deform" as much as your 420mm. So maybe it will
be your solution.
Strange though as this pulling air through the rad. So if it moves/deforms wouldn't it go closer to the rad. But lots of swirling air...

Please post back when you fit the 400mm 8 blade.

You are probably right in that the fan would move towards the radiator regarding the air flow.
Maybe the alternator/waterpump belt are pulling the fan/tilting it slightly closer to the AC/PS pulley when rpm rises?

The 8 blade is 420mm as well. The early 5 blade is 400mm.
But the shape of the blades on the 8 blade seems different. More angled outwards.
I think this will make a difference.

Back