radiator: recore or new aluminum

recore original radiator or replace with new aluminum model

• Total voters

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have 1 set of brackets to sell to attach a Spal fan to an aftermarket condenser
The 'stock' method is to stick connectors through the fins of the condenser
These are water jet cut steel that span from side to side

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ah yes, that is a good upgrade. Is there a specific model/size that has become "the one".
My car has the original elec fan still - not sure if it works. But I remember when I worked at the dealership back in the late 80's. We'd take the original fans out and replace them. I used to take the original fans home and use them on non-automotive projects.
did you get your radiator re-cored yet? I am currently doing this, doing this because if and or when you put a new, non-original fan on your motor you will need a thinner radiator!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not yet. Original rad is on the shelf, next to a new one from W&N. The original rad fit in front of a 9-blade fan with viscous clutch okay (not a lot of clearance, but it fit). I would think any re-core I'd get (if I go that route) will be no thicker than the original radiator. And the Spal is out front in place of the original supplementary electric fan. I think I'm good.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
OK, I bought a new WN one and it is too thick for viscous clutch fan
WN radiator for sale

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You may want to indicate which one you have (for sale). WN sells several different rads. The one I have is the same size as the original.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I will do that, I was making sort of a joke, if isn't working for me, it is supposed to be same size as original, original doesn't fit either

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Stephen, it is possible to delete the viscous clutch altogether. Then you can install a 3 core rad and have zero clearance issues. Of course an auxiliary fan is needed, but I have had this set up for decades and has never let me down. I will admit I do not drive in humid Southern environs, but it is something to consider as you may not have the high temp extremes either. Couple of years ago I disassembled the stock fan and replaced the original SKF bearing in the motor and it is nice and quiet again. ;)
SAM_4782.JPG

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Bob, Not sure which car you are asking about - the topic of this thread has become more informative than applicative. My car is manual, and will remain so. I still hold a new W&N radiator and the possibility to re-core my original radiator. I have a 9-blade "red" fan with viscous drive that did clear the original rad, but not by much. ;)