Radiator..where to buy and which one.

pmansson

Reaction score
I bought one from W&N in Germany.
They have about 3 different models, depending on engine and ancillaries esp AC which has the thickest cooling element.
Go for that one. 1711 1 121 295
Then there is one for cars with automatic transmission. Perhaps it has even better cooling capacity. About twice as expensive: 1711 1 109 662.
Check what you can get in the US. Shipping from Germany might be very expensive.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
-Curt Ingraham in Oakland, CA for a recored radiator that is better than the stock one.

-Carl Nelson can ship the stock radiator new.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Abe,

Unless your tanks look like swiss cheese any radiator shop can rebuild it into a 2 or 3 row core for less. Be sure the thickness isn't any greater, not much fan clearance as it is. The Automatic radiator is wider to accomodate the trans fluid tank, it isn't more efficient, and it needs a shorter bracket on the passenger side to mount it.

m_thompson

Reaction score
Unless your tanks look like swiss cheese any radiator shop can rebuild it into a 2 or 3 row core for less.

Thats what I did. The radiator originally had a 2-row core that was replaced with a 3-row. Not much clearance between the radiator and the fan, but no problems in 28 years of use.

jmackro

Reaction score
I bought a new radiator for my 2800 CS from Mesa Performance just last month. It cost me $300. While my old one wasn't that bad, I figured that if it cost me $150 to fix it, and it lasted 3-4 more years, I would be better off investing in a new part.

The sticker on the top of the radiator reads: "Behr RC08 30, Kuehlmittelkuehler, 700111200, Made in South Africa"

Spence at Mesa commented that an e9 radiator is identical to the one used on the later e_ (sorry, I didn't pay attention to which later BMW model he named). However, BMW documentation shows different part numbers - and different prices - for the e9 and e_ radiators. And yes, the price for the e9 part number is more. So, your local BMW dealer can no doubt get a radiator that is the exact replacement for your e9, but if you want to save some $$, you'll need a clever parts guy to tell you what BMW model to ask for.

Abe: You're just in Thousand Oaks - you might call Mesa (949 642-8824) and see what shipping would run if they get it for you. Or, drive on down to Orange County.