Radiators - Silicon Garage update

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I had inquired with Silicon Garage (Curt Ingraham) CA about their radiators a few months back. I just received the following response back and thought I would pass it along:

Email:

I got this email from Lisa, Curt’s Wife. I don’t know if you know but Curt passed away late last year. Silicon Garage is the manufacturer of the 3 core radiator.

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Mark Preisendorf. Some of you know me. But for those of you who do not. I have been involved with European auto parts for over 30 years. Almost exclusively BMW,s for over 12 of those years. I was contacted by the family of Curt Ingraham, the past owner and creator of Silicon Garage “improved” radiators. They have asked me to continue on the legacy of Curt by offering the same Superior Quality product and the best customer service.

What is unique about the Silicon Garage radiators is that they are exactly the same dimensions as a stock radiator. They offer 50% more cooling and NO modification needed for installation. I use a custom built copper 3 row core, attached to O.E.M. BMW Solid Brass top and bottom tanks. They also come with an “Original BMW” new radiator cap, overflow hose and all mounting hardware.

The radiators are once again available. I have them in stock ready for shipping. Best of all the pricing will remain the same.

If you or someone you know needs a radiator upgrade, please give me a call or send me an email. The Silicon Garage Phone number is 510-507-2002 My email is [email protected]

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have known Mark for ten years- great guy to deal with.

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
Which 3-row core (1.5" or 2") for Silicon Garage Radiator?

I'm talking with Mark Preisendorf at Silicon Garage about one of his three-row-core radiators that occupies the same physical space as a standard radiator. He says he can do it in a 1.5" core, or in a fatter 2" core. If I understand him correctly, the 2" core will clear an original 3.0 engine and its water pump and fan clutch, but won't clear the newer setup with the viscous clutch. My car has an engine from a 533i that I put in nearly 15 years ago. I didn't remember the details, but I just looked at it and it has a viscous fan clutch.

Anyone else with an updated engine / fan clutch setup use one of these radiators?

--Rob

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Rob,

My original core is 2" and I have the earlier viscous clutch. From wall to radiator is 1/4", radiator 2", radiator to fan blade 3/8." The later pump and clutch gives more room. The tanks at either end 'may' push the core towards the pump but I don't know.

Attachments

• DSCN2201.jpg
    DSCN2201.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 214

vraned

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Rob,

I just installed a radiator from Silicon Garage on my 3.5 setup. Per Mark's recommendation, I went with the 1.5" core. This gives me about 9/16" clearance between the fan and radiator.

IMG_1614_s.JPG

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
ordered the 1.5" core

Thanks. I just ordered the radiator from Mark with the 1.5" core.

I looked carefully at a post Bill Riblet put up a while back, showing how he pulled the radiator forward by cutting one leg off the U-shaped rubber mount, but I didn't want to risk it. Besides, I talked with Mark, I live here in Massachusetts, it's not like I'm moving to Phoenix, I just needed enough extra cooling capacity for when I'm stuck in traffic, and he thought the 1.5" core should buy me plenty of extra cooling over the stock radiator with the 1 1/4" core.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
SIlicon Garage radiators

Hi Folks, would like to know what the 1.5" core costs? I couldnt find out the price even by trying to find it on their website. thanks. Keshav

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
Prices

The retail prices Mark quoted to me are $475 for the 1.5" core and $495 for the 2" core, plus my old radiator, as he needs the tanks.