Radio mounting (Blaupunkt Frankfurt)

otter74

Reaction score
I have a ca. 76-77 Frankfurt that I’d like to put in my E12. (This seems like a better place to ask because mounting seems to be the same as an E3/E9, not an E28.) currently it has an ugly modern CD radio that sticks out too far. If I don’t use the Frankfurt I’ll probably get one of those Continentals without a CD player. I’ve taken the modern deck out to look at the wiring and see what’s involved in wiring in the simple mono radio. The other thing I’m not sure about is mounting it. It’s got a plate behind the faceplate, and this plate has a vertical bar on each side that makes it just big enough that it won’t fit into the console opening. I can pop the knobs and rings off, remove the faceplate, remove this plate, and it ought to slide right into the aftermarket chassis and fit in the console all the way. But what is this plate for? And, without it, do I need anything else to secure it in the console? The chassis can be fixed in place by bending a couple of tabs and there are a couple of spring clips on the bottom of the console opening.

Attachments

• IMG_4074.jpeg
    IMG_4074.jpeg
    199.4 KB · Views: 54

otter74

Reaction score
Figured it out. Turns out what I thought were mounting studs for those bars (the heads had debris in them) were set screws. Back screws out, remove bars, slide radio into opening, re-insert bars, tighten set screws, replace face plate and knobs. Looks perfect. Now to wait for the correct BT module and I’ll figure out the wiring and install it next weekend.