Rahal bat for sale at Canepa

shanon

Reaction score
Nice car.

Mr. Werb seems to be Bimmer's got-to guy for E9s.
We had a good time in 2010. ;-)

michael

Site Donor
Reaction score
Rahal CSL

The car is truly spectacular. Canepa never fails to impress me with their attention to detail and quality of offerings, but for $425K I'd expect original hood/trunk BMW emblems; not ones with the motorsport logos and original CSL wheels; not later recasts.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Canepa has just started correcting issues with this Bat, many parts had been removed with photos highlighted with arrows to point out the problems. I saw them on the workbenches.

TodB

Reaction score
Perry's shop did the original resto, then the Werkshop comes long and puts 400 hours into it though its not clear what they did. At what point did parts start disappearing?

Did Rahal ever take delivery of this car?

Something isn't adding up.

m73

Reaction score
Adding up

First off, I have utmost respect for everyone involved, but....@400k or 425k some things don't add up....

Let's think what it would take to build a car from available materials and sources to any spec (cs, csi, csl, group x racer) you can be the judge of the final price. But efficient work/labor practices should be advised....

Secondly, I skimmed the description, but no real provenance leaped out at my head....yes Rahal is famous and the 'man' for buying a Bat. And it's rare, 1 of 157. But I don't see a continuous history of provenance. That and the fact that much of the original car has been repaired or replaced leads me to wonder about the price.

Are they just asking labor charges? If so I will gladly pay BMW AG 400k....to get real world money, there has to be a strong case. Else what might end up happening is you sell an expensive car and have to continue speculating about its price up or down for the rest of its existance...I always thought these things rose w/ inflation, and the few excellent/original examples peaked.

My .02 cents

MF

italiangerman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Canepa has just started correcting issues with this Bat, many parts had been removed with photos highlighted with arrows to point out the problems. I saw them on the workbenches.

It would be interesting/informative to see the canepa punch list. Hopefully, you are not saying that parts were harvested as Todb seemed to think?

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
What I noticed

When I saw the car at Amelia in 2014, there was some pitting in the chrome around the vent windows. As we know, disassembling that would be a bear and getting it back together even more so.
Also, the trunk lid stood a little proud.
Scott