Rat Hole inside Front Fenders

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
Inside the front fender there is a triangle shaped "rat hole" that seems to be a good collector of dirt and water. Is there a plug designed for this to close it out?
Thank you

Attachments

• Rat Hole.jpg
    Rat Hole.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 133
Not officially. Clean it, apply some rust converter, then cavity wax it. Make sure the drain holes are clear. Then blow it out with compressed air twice a year along with your fender seams which you've also done the same procedure on :cool:

well, normally this opening is not in direct contact with water. When you look up inside your wheel well, you should not see that opening. There is supposed to be a plate with a seal (located between outer fender and inner wheel house structure) which prevents (but not very effectively) water and stones to enter there. Walloth and Neesch still sell it.

Google "Schottblech BMW E9" for some visual clues.
also covered here:

well, normally this opening is not in direct contact with water. When you look up inside your wheel well, you should not see that opening. There is supposed to be a plate with a seal (located between outer fender and inner wheel house structure) which prevents (but not very effectively) water and stones to enter there. Walloth and Neesch still sell it.

Google "Schottblech BMW E9" for some visual clues.
also covered here:

Thanks for the link to the other post. I am reviewing it now and leaning towards the Lokari liners.

I don't think he is referring to the space behind the covering plate on the fender (part #41141814035 and 36), but rather the cave opening that is open to the wheel well and all the crap thrown up by the tires.

Indeed you are right, the Walloth and Neesch part, if installed, does not hinder water and stone entry here. ( I thought it did). Lokaris are the way to go, even more so with this addition from Steve.

I don't think he is referring to the space behind the covering plate on the fender (part #41141814035 and 36), but rather the cave opening that is open to the wheel well and all the crap thrown up by the tires.
The lower plates behind the wheel well are 51711813031/2 and they are below and behind the rat hole. I have vacuumed out a bunch of dirt today. I am definitely going with the Lokari Liners.

The lower plates behind the wheel well are 51711813031/2 and they are below and behind the rat hole. I have vacuumed out a bunch of dirt today. I am definitely going with the Lokari Liners.

Before you install them, spray them with rubberized undercoating so they aren't shiny aluminum.

I have vacuumed 5 pounds of sand and very small rocks from both sides.

Highly suggest Lokari fender liners to mitigate debris getting there & in the catch-all at the rear of the front fender.

Trouble is, getting anything from DE will mean min. 2 month wait in customs (exactly where mine are sitting now).

Or build the lokaris yourself. Start with a large cardboard sheet. 1 hour of cutting and sticky tape for any mistakes, and you have a rough fit.
From cardboard to aluminum is easy, just bend it, that's all. The lokaris have a rib running, it requires a bead roller.
Even purchasing 2 alu sheets and a bead roller is on par with the cost of buying and shipping them.
And I bet it is faster then waiting 2 months....
And so much more rewarding when you stand back and admire your own work. From a simple sheet to an actual part; that's gone make your day.

I copied the lokari shape 1 to 1, from an actual part from a friend onto cardboard. I did not yet translate it into aluminium myself yet.

If and when, can you post a printable version of your Lokari work-up for those of us like yourself, who like to do our own "weekend" fabricating?

Back