re-assembly-the nasty bits

arnie

Reaction score
I must say though, even though I’m quite tired after 18 months of rebuilding this thing- I can’t wait to drive it!

Hey Peter,

could be more or less my statement, exept, that I started approx. 12 month ago, after I pushed this old rotten thing out of my garage :p.

Now, that we're finally facing a warmer weather after that fu....g long winter xxl here in Germany, this is a great insentive to get ready with it ! I'm not more than 2 days away from the finish line and it's kind of unreal after these hundreds of hours.

Have fun with yours (btw: pretty nice car). I'm rather sure, that I'll have fun with my renewed E9.

Ingo

ps: The older post by Murray regarding the sunroofs seals is right.
ps2: Did you sort out the electric problem with fuse no 1 and your light switch ?

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Arnie, Please post some pics of yours! My carpet is going in today and it's already hot in Austin Texas so I hope I did the A/C right :).

Sunroof looks great with the felt done Murry's way and I did figure out the short, though I won't be surprised if I find others~

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
interior going in

As with the exterior, the tolerances are pretty exacting. Even though the upholsterer is good, lots of things need to be re-worked to make them fit correctly. I had the rear seats made to match the new front seats as I saw someone else on the forum did. It didn't cost any more so why not :)

Attachments

• rearseats0.jpg
    rearseats0.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 165
  • rearseats6.jpg
    rearseats6.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 159
  • rearseats7.jpg
    rearseats7.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 166
  • rearseats8.jpg
    rearseats8.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 160

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Can anyone identify these parts

I guess I did such a good job that I had parts left over:? These are the last two parts left over- Does anyone know what they are. Hopefully nothing that needed to go in months ago.

Attachments

• mysterypart1.jpg
    mysterypart1.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 174

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, Don.. yes, I painted them:-? but do they serve a function? A klobbershaft plate sounds like German for "Big Hammer", don't forget, this is my first e9 :)

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Perhaps some sort of washer/backing plate for the 74 rear bumper mounts? I have not seen these pieces on a 72 (which I have had completely apart). I did have some "extra" pieces left over as well. I like to think that they were unnecessary.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
so far...

Those pieces seem unnecessary? I don't know, I think they may have been lose in the trunk when I bought her, maybe they hold something down back there? Not the battery hold down.. I don't think, but you never know. Anyhow, a couple more shots for the record-

Thanks all!

Attachments

• seats in2.jpg
    seats in2.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 147
  • seats in3.jpg
    seats in3.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 127
  • seats in4.jpg
    seats in4.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 133

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
On to another subject

Has anyone tried this with the rear bumper (newer to older conversion)?

Attachments

• rear bumper mount5.jpg
    rear bumper mount5.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 142

alanmcg

Reaction score
no, but interesting

took me a while to figure out what i was looking at there - so you are going to use the three large holes in the body/frame (74) to mount the euro bumpers? including the middle one? how does the bumper height come out?

creative solution and much easier than all the body work needed to weld up all those holes.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm Hoping so

Right now I'm bolting everything up and making sure the bolt holes on my brackets are big enough so I can adjust everything (a carry over lesson from the front mounts). Before final mounting I have to weld it to the '72 bumper brackets because the bolts would hit the body. Once I get everything measured I'll take some more pics, but I just could not see drilling into the new paint and it just did not seem strong enough. I think the bumper height is correct because I got the holes for the bumper-etts to line up with the rear valence which came off a 72 since mine was trashed so I think the height will be correct. Once the 2 end ones are on the center tube should be easy:roll: